How to Prevent Getting Virus from ZIP Files?
Feb 28, 2006 at 1:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dj_mocok

Headphoneus Supremus
Just wondering, does anyone here know exactly what is the safest way to open a zip file while preventing our computer from getting a virus (if there is) at the same time?

I am using Norton Internet Security 2006, and sometimes I got files in ZIP.

So say if the ZIP file contains a virus, so as soon as I double click it (unzip), will it spread to my PC even though I got Norton running?

I was thinking to copy the ZIP file into a USB drive first, and then I will open the file from USB drive and scan that USB drive using norton. So if there is a virus, it will only stay in the USB drive... can it really work that way?

Thanks guys.

Feb 28, 2006 at 2:26 AM Post #2 of 7
Just be a daredevil and open the zip, if you get infected NIS2006 obviously isn't working and it's time to move to another program.

Plus you shouldn't really worry unless you're downloading something you shouldn't be ...
wink.gif
icon10.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #4 of 7
Right-Click on the zip file choose the Scan with Norton option before unzipping it. I've caught quite a few viruses this way. Norton can neutralize and remove the virus etc. from the zip file.

edit: oops, too slow
tongue.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #5 of 7
I unistalled yesterday the Norton 2005, and installed the Norton Corporate Edition 10.0 (courtesy of my new job) and it search into the compressed files as many levels deep as you want, I set it ot 10, but you could even set it deeper.

Feb 28, 2006 at 9:28 AM Post #7 of 7
Good advise on scanning it before opening it...i didn't even think of that.I was about to say to not open it at all as it would be hell to get rid of it if it was a virus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back