How to open a SinglePower amp ?
Nov 14, 2008 at 1:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

pompon

500+ Head-Fier
I found Hex Key Set 1/16 inch fit in the hole but the key is not strong enough to be able to move thoses screws.

Any idea ? Screws are glue or something ?

I will have to open my amp for a local repair (if possible to open it without destroy the screws...)

Send to SP is my last option ... Canada/USA will require 20 days just in shipping time and will cost me about 150$ US just for shipping. Outch!

Nov 14, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #2 of 5
Make sure you try a 5/64" hex and see if you can get a better fit. If neither hexes work, daisy chain a wrench to the L-handle so you have be a better handle. Be careful not to strip the bolt or you'll have to drill it out.

Nov 14, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #3 of 5
With the heating and cooling of the amp, the bolts may have gotten frozen in place.

You might want to try a little WD-40 or other penetrating lubricant on the bolts.

You might also want to try heating the bolts to loosen them. Don't do this just after using a penetrating lubricant, though. When things get sticky, sometimes I'll use a lighter or torch to heat the screwdriver or hex key while it's stuck in the bolt, then let it cool. Heating and contraction will sometimes loosen a frozen bolt.

Be sure you're not directly holding the piece you're heating, be careful with open flames, etc., but this has worked for me many times.

Nov 14, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #4 of 5
I think he may lock-tight the screws in place.

I had to drill one out after I stripped off the head. No biggie.

Please observe good high voltage safety practices once you open the case.

Nov 14, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #5 of 5
What do you think is wrong with the amp? From your descriptions the problem sounded like a tube issue. Moreover, that amp is quite complicated. I dont think I would just let anyone work on the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back