how to Merge two different mp3 files?
Jun 29, 2010 at 10:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

GuruTech

100+ Head-Fier
I need to know if there is a software which let us join / merge two different mp3 files together and let them play as one file eventually?

how should i do that?
Thanks

Jun 29, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #2 of 17
You can use the command line. In Windows:
Code:
 copy /b *.mp3 c:\new.mp3

In Mac/Linux:
Code:
 cat *.mp3 > new.mp3

You may replace *.mp3 with typing out all the names of the files that you want to merge. This method simply merges the mp3 files together entirely without changing them. This means there will be no loss in sound quality through lossy re-encoding.

Another method is to use sound editing software like Audacity. Start a new project and import all the mp3 files you want and combine them manually. You'll get more control over the start/stop points, and even edit out portions or fade in/out. But when you save the final mp3, it will lose a tiny bit of sound quality due to the inherent nature of the mp3 format.

Finally, there are programs like "MergeMP3", which are probably what you want. I don't know whether they re-encode the mp3 files or not.

Jun 30, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #3 of 17
Do you need the files to merge gaplessly?  Or is it OK for them to merge with a gap?

I don't think it is possible to merge two MP3 files gaplessly without re-encoding them.  Re-encoding from lossy to lossy will do double damage to the audio quality of the file.  Not something you would want to do unless absolutely necessary.  If you must go this route I would suggest going lossy to lossless.  For example going from MP3 to FLAC.  You won't gain any quality by going to FLAC, however you don't lose any quality either and that's the point.  Join the files in an audio editor and convert to a lossless format.

If you are OK with having a gap between the files there are utilities that will merge or join mp3 files without re-encoding them.  There are some limitations though.  I have never actually done this so I don't have a specific program to recommend.

Jun 30, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #4 of 17
i do not need a gap that is what was causing problem but as Ham suggest that after editing i must convert them to lossless format to avoid the audio damage.

And YogaFlame!
i need your help here, as you said i must use that command in command prompt but its not working there. They said their is no such file in your system but the file name was write. Will you please write me the axact command once again.

Example:
i have these two mp3 files in MusiQ folder in D drive of hard disk.
names of these two files i want to merger are Fire.mp3 and Water.mp3
now tell me how would i write the command in command prompt to join these two
your help would be highly appreciated. 

Jun 30, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #6 of 17
Okay, I'll begin by restating your example.
We have a folder: D:\MusiQ
And in that folder are: Fire.mp3 and Water.mp3

When you start up the command line program, you will probably get something like this:
Code:
 C:\Users\YogaFlame>
That tells you the current folder you are in, and also the current hard drive (C:).

So the first step is to change to the folder where your music files are. I'll put the actual commands to type in bold.
Code:
 C:\Users\YogaFlame> [b]D:[/b] D:\> [b]cd \MusiQ[/b] D:\MusiQ>

Now you can use the command from my earlier post.
Code:
 D:\MusiQ> [b]copy /b *.mp3 new.mp3[/b]

This will merge all the .mp3 files in D:\MusiQ and put the result into new.mp3. You may also type out the file names individually, in case there are other files in the folder that you want to exclude.

Code:
[color=black][font=monospace] D:\MusiQ> [b]copy /b "Fire.mp3" "Water.mp3" new.mp3[/b] [/font][/color]

I added the "quotation marks" just in case your actual file names have spaces in them. You can also try pressing the tab key while typing the file name, and the command line program should auto-complete it for you.

The merged new.mp3 file should now be in D:\MusiQ

Quote:
And YogaFlame!
i need your help here, as you said i must use that command in command prompt but its not working there. They said their is no such file in your system but the file name was write. Will you please write me the axact command once again.

Example:
i have these two mp3 files in MusiQ folder in D drive of hard disk.
names of these two files i want to merger are Fire.mp3 and Water.mp3
now tell me how would i write the command in command prompt to join these two
your help would be highly appreciated. 

Jun 30, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #7 of 17
Concatenating two mp3 files using the copy command is not the right way to do it.  You will end up with an out of spec or corrupted mp3 file.  MP3 files have header information at the beginning of the file and tag information at both the beginning and the end of the file.  If you just join two MP3 files end to end like that you end up with erroneous header and tag info in the middle of the joined file in addition to having incorrect header information at the beginning of the new joined file.  It's the wrong way to do it.

You need to use a utility that is specially designed to join MP3 files.  The utility will take into account the file header sections and the tag fields and take into account the size of the last MP3 audio block and many other technical details and join everything together properly in addition to writing new correct header information at the beginning of the new MP3 file.

I know there are free utilities that do that.  I just don't know of any off-hand.

Jun 30, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #9 of 17
I did a quick google and found one freeware MP3 joiner: Merge MP3.

I haven't tried it.  The description seems to indicate it joins the files without doing any re-encoding so you keep the original quality of the MP3 without any additional degrading.

Jul 1, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #11 of 17
Ham Sandwich is correct about concatenating files. Text files you can get away with it, music files will crash. I use a free program called Goldwave. Just cut and paste the files together. While you're at it, you may want to play with the program. It's a full fledged studio if you want. You can take pops and crackles out of vinyl rips, etc. I record myself playing classical guitar with it. It's rare that I can play certain songs without a mistake, so I paste two halves together to get a mistake-free song. Voila! I can hear what it should sound like until I practice more. You can removes gaps between songs, fade in and out, blah, blah, blah.

Jul 2, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #12 of 17
You can also use Foobar to merge files.

Ctrl P > Tools > Converter

You should see a list of available file formats.  Click on the output format you want to use and click Edit to set the bitrate.  When everything is set up properly click Apply then OK.  If you don't see the format you want, go to http://www.foobar2000.org/components and download what you'll need.

Ctrl N > Alt F > F

Select the MP3s you want to merge.  Click and drag them into the proper order.  Highlight them > right-click > Convert > ...   .  Choose Merge all tracks into one output file and OK.

Jul 5, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #13 of 17
yes! you are right. That is not the right way or may be it was too complicated for me to do it successfully. 
I used the Merge mp3 software and it worked so great and it was quite easy.
Thanks to all of you for helping :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back