How to measure Ety’s SPL’s
Jun 1, 2004 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Harty

100+ Head-Fier
I’m trying to measure my etymotic ER-4S’s SPL with my new meter, would measuring a couple of mm’s away from the opening of the flanged / foam tips with the SPL’s microphone give a correct reading, should I still try and keep below peaks of 80 to 85, or should it be below this for Canal Phones.

Best wishes,

Paul.

Jun 1, 2004 at 6:45 PM Post #2 of 12
Best option, use a dummy head.

2nd best option: find a tube that is roughly 2cm long. Stick the mic capsule in the other end of tube and seal it. Stick the etys in the other end of tube.

I don't know how trustworthy your measurements from open air air, due to lack of canal resonances and no sound guiding.

I recommend using the tube.

Any garden/kitchen variety plastic tube will do. The important thing is to seal it at both ends.

Jun 3, 2004 at 6:48 PM Post #4 of 12
I could be wrong, but I think they made an adapter for that. I seem to remember a comment from Don Wilson of Etymotic to that effect. It might be worth sending a PM to him to see if you could buy one. His user name is d_wilson.

Jun 3, 2004 at 6:53 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
I could be wrong, but I think they made an adapter for that. I seem to remember a comment from Don Wilson of Etymotic to that effect. It might be worth sending a PM to him to see if you could buy one. His user name is d_wilson.

Ditto, for sure they have all those measuments already done, Etymotics is a respectable company in hearing aids also, not only in headphones, they know what they are doing and how...contact Mr. Wilson......

Jun 3, 2004 at 7:36 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer

Thanks gpalmer,

I've only just found the post about the 2cc coupler, I've just placed my order.

Sovkiller,

I want to know the SP levels of my Ety's to make sure that I'm listening below 80dB's with my portables and BitHead.

Best wishes,

Paul.

Jun 3, 2004 at 7:40 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Harty
Thanks gpalmer,

I've only just found the post about the 2cc coupler, I've just placed my order.

Sovkiller,

I want to know the SP levels of my Ety's to make sure that I'm listening below 80dB's with my portables and BitHead, in order to protect my hearing.

Best wishes,

Paul.

Sorry I thought you were trying to make the curves of Freq vs SPL, or the like, well in that case, I'll give you an idea, use a more conventional headphone, measure it, and then hear the etys at this same level to your ears, more or less, if you hear a portapro under 80db, it is more likely, that if you place the etys at the same relative volume to your ears, the volume will not be much different......

Jun 3, 2004 at 7:58 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
Sorry I thought you were trying to make the curves of Freq vs SPL, or the like, well in that case, I'll give you an idea, use a more conventional headphone, measure it, and then hear the etys at this same level to your ears, more or less, if you hear a portapro under 80db, it is more likely, that if you place the etys at the same relative volume to your ears, the volume will not be much different......

Thanks Sovkiller.

I'm just getting used to listening at lower volumes than I'm used to, so my ears are still adjusting at the moment.

Best wishes,

Paul.

Jun 4, 2004 at 9:25 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Harty
I’m trying to measure my etymotic ER-4S’s SPL with my new meter, would measuring a couple of mm’s away from the opening of the flanged / foam tips with the SPL’s microphone give a correct reading, should I still try and keep below peaks of 80 to 85, or should it be below this for Canal Phones.

Best wishes,

Paul.

Don has posted info about measuring the SPL with a multimeter, something like a certain amount of current flowing through the line corresponds to a certain db level, try a search for specifics...

I don't think you're going to get any relevant measurements with a standard db meter.

Jun 4, 2004 at 9:59 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by beats unbeaten
Don has posted info about measuring the SPL with a multimeter, something like a certain amount of current flowing through the line corresponds to a certain db level, try a search for specifics...

I don't think you're going to get any relevant measurements with a standard db meter.

Hi beats unbeaten,

I'm just making sure I stay under 80dB's with my ER-4P/S with my portables and BitHead, I've always tended to listen a little too loud.

Once I train my hearing by staying under 80 dB's, I should have a better idea on what kind of levels I'm hearing, but I need to have a good idea of what kind of levels I'm getting with my Ety's first.

Best wishes,

Paul.

Jun 4, 2004 at 11:33 AM Post #11 of 12
I don't suggest that you measure with a non-canal phone and then try to go by "feel" to the same intensity level. Different acoustics at play and different measurements. Use the tube, it's much more accurate.

Also, measuring from signal level and correlating to dB _differences_ is possible, if you know the characteristics. Measuring an absolute level from voltage is possible to estimate if you have a base acoustic reference, from which to start the computation based on differences.

However, this is a sealed headphone with a resonant chamber (i.e. ear canal). It should be measured inside a canal or in a rough simulation of that (2cm plastic tube), otherwise you can be several dB off the mark.

Ref: H. Moller, D. Hammershoj, C.B. Jensen, M.F. Sorensen, 'Transfer Characteristics of Headphones measured on human ears', J. Audio Eng. Soc., Vol. 43, No. 4

regards,
Halcyon

PS If you want to learn more, read this thread started by j-curve:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...6&page=2&pp=15

Users who are viewing this thread

Back