How to make an interconnect Step by Step With Pics
Aug 15, 2006 at 1:20 PM Post #466 of 1,012
I'm thinking about making my first cable. I've got a load of silver teflon hookup wire on hand, so I'm thinking about just braiding that instead of getting canare star quad. I'm just wondering, though, what jacket I should use for the cable. Should techflex be sufficient for protecting the wires, or should I use some PVC or some other tubing over all the wires?

Also, does anyone know if there's somewhere you could buy the shielding foil for cables?

Aug 15, 2006 at 2:06 PM Post #467 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebonyks
Something perhaps worth mentioning:

While i don't reccomend using starquad in any situation (PVC dieletrical, it's terrible stuff), if you have to, use the white part to carry the signal. PVC's dieletrical properties are compromised by adding coloring agents (This is unique to PVC, if you're using a wire with a superior dieletric, like teflon, this advice need not be followed)

isn't natural pvc clear. . .

if you think it should make a difference, it shouldn't matter which one you use, considering that all of the wires in star quad have coloring agents

Aug 16, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #468 of 1,012
A jacket shouldn't really matter. TechFlex is mostly for decoration. As for foil, I don't know. =/

And with the StarQuad's PVC, use whatever wire you want.

Aug 23, 2006 at 8:21 AM Post #469 of 1,012
Making this into a seperate thread. Mods delete this post.(Yeah right like they ever actually will.)

Aug 25, 2006 at 3:55 PM Post #470 of 1,012
Quote:

If I'm not mistaken the Coaxial only has one wire right? So there's no ground for the SPDIF cable?

If I'm not mistaken there is a signal wire in the centre surrounded by a plastic or similar insulator then the ground conductor is a metal braid sheath around the plastic then a PVC sheath. Well that's what the generic stuff usually is.

I think you can get variations with foil shielding and I've seen both stranded and solid core, also solid or braided sheath. Of course you can also get different sheaths, insulators, conductors etc.

But coax has 2 conductors and ground is the outer braid and the signal is the inner conductor.

Sep 13, 2006 at 4:05 PM Post #471 of 1,012
Hi everyboby,

sorry for my bad english, wonderfull this tread, thanks
wink.gif

I am new headphone user, I have a AKG K 240 studio and DT880
I would like to change the headphone cable by a good one quality/price cable.

I saw the STARQUAD, no expensive, the techflex 3/8" is good ?

the techflex for cat5 what size please ?

the very good ones cables headphone as silver or black dragon, équinox... are not saled per feet ??

thanks a lot,
Thibault

Sep 14, 2006 at 1:02 PM Post #472 of 1,012
Anyone have secret sources for your right-angled 3.5mm plugs?
The only ones I know about are the Neutriks, and the Switchcraft ones... I would like more alternatives if anyone out there knows of any more.

Sep 14, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #473 of 1,012
Quote:

Originally Posted by mb3k
Anyone have secret sources for your right-angled 3.5mm plugs?
The only ones I know about are the Neutriks, and the Switchcraft ones... I would like more alternatives if anyone out there knows of any more.

I don't know af any other brands which are worth mentioning. Neutrik RA's aren't that expensive.

Sep 22, 2006 at 4:56 AM Post #474 of 1,012
Well I guess this is the best place for my question, I was going to make a mini to mini cable, and thought I'd make a new guitar cable as well, so I got a couple of the connectors, and I got stereo instead of mono. Will I still be able to use them?

Oct 11, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #475 of 1,012
i dont really recommend it...but you can use the tip as normal and solder the ring (left) onto the shield making it like a mono cable. As you can see mono 1/4" is the same as stereo except the stereo has 2 rings instead of 1. Get it?

Oct 12, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #477 of 1,012
Acutally XLR connectors are not right and left they are merely balance so they have the pins 1,2,3 which are Ground, Positive, and Negative in that order if I'm not mistaken, I generally use one for each or double up on the ground, but there may be a better way to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back