How to install cone feet?
Oct 20, 2002 at 4:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Gergor

1000+ Head-Fier
I want to buy some cone feet to put put it under the rack. How do I attach the cones to the rack? Drilling holes is not practical for me. Should I use double sided tape? Or is there a better solution?

Thank you.

Oct 20, 2002 at 9:13 PM Post #3 of 8
use postertak, $1.50 at your local target or office supply store (home depot carries the stuff too). you don't need much and you can use the excess to couple speakers to stands or hang some posters on the wall
wink.gif

removable, cheap, been using the stuff for years.

Oct 21, 2002 at 3:47 AM Post #4 of 8
The whole reason for cones is to couple the device to whatever surface it is set on.If you want isolation then cones are the wrong choice.

An example would be

mass>CD player>three point cones>high mass isolation base>squishy feet

The squishy feet are used to DEcouple the Cd sandwich

by using "blue Tack" clones you are already decoupling the cd player from the base

Oct 21, 2002 at 5:10 AM Post #6 of 8
rick,

a small amount of postertak isn't going to decouple the chassis from the cone, it acts like an adhesive (therefore coupling the cone to the chassis) thats removable. if we're talking large amounts of the stuff then sure its a problem (unless the user wants to create a form of isolation), but the beauty of it is that you don't need a lot of it (a pin head sized drop is enough).

best,
carlo.

EDIT:

gergor,
sorry, didn't see your response till i pushed submit. what do you mean by stabilize? cones (in my experience) tend to make the player more likely to slide around so it might not be the best choice for your application.

Oct 21, 2002 at 5:38 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by carlo
rick,

a small amount of postertak isn't going to decouple the chassis from the cone, it acts like an adhesive (therefore coupling the cone to the chassis) thats removable. if we're talking large amounts of the stuff then sure its a problem (unless the user wants to create a form of isolation), but the beauty of it is that you don't need a lot of it (a pin head sized drop is enough).

best,
carlo.

EDIT:

gergor,
sorry, didn't see your response till i pushed submit. what do you mean by stabilize? cones (in my experience) tend to make the player more likely to slide around so it might not be the best choice for your application.

I was thinking given enough weight, it should not slide around. In fact, all the weight is now on the cone tips which become high pressure contact point which in turn stabilize the equipment in question. Does it make sense?
confused.gif

Btw, is postertak strong enough to hold?

Oct 21, 2002 at 5:54 AM Post #8 of 8
Gregor,

yeah, makes total sense - i assumed you were looking at this from the typical audio point of view instead of a physics based one. unfortunately, while you increase pressure on the vertical plane the applied reality is that pushing on the horizontal plane (ie hitting play) will make the player move when on cones, depending on the weight of the player. think of it in terms of contact area on seperate planes.

mass damping (adding weight to the top of your cd player) will offset that by increasing pressure on the contact points. or you can just not use cones in favor of something with a larger contact area.

postertak will create a strong enough bond in my experience. or you can super glue or use adhesive as rick suggested (although be wary of damage and issues with resale).

best,
carlo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back