How to Improve My Marantz CD5003 CD Player
Feb 22, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #17 of 19
Hello,

I've been bitten by the "I need to upgrade" bug again.

I've been researching HP here and ordered the AKG 601's but now I'm wondering about the source. (CD5003)

I'm using a Little Dot III tube amp which hasn't warmed up the sound as much as I'd like with my AKG K240's right now.

So I'm wondering if I should look to an affordable DAC or maybe a warmer interconnect?

I say "affordable" because I can only spend under $200.00 right now.

Ideally I would love to tame the highs and bring out the bass.

BTW~I also have an old Pioneer PDR-509 CD player/recorder which I can't decide if it sounds better.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

I'm raising a dead thread because... heck, I don't know.

Oddly enough, I am listening to a CD5003 with my K601 right now. I'm going to see what happens when I take the digital signal from the CD5003 into my Modi 2 Multibit and then into a Vali 2 or Magni 3.

Feb 22, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #18 of 19
I'm raising a dead thread because... heck, I don't know.

Oddly enough, I am listening to a CD5003 with my K601 right now. I'm going to see what happens when I take the digital signal from the CD5003 into my Modi 2 Multibit and then into a Vali 2 or Magni 3.
I haven't bothered to compare the CD5003 via optical into the Modi 2 Multibit with lossless files off of my PC. All I know is it sounds good, and it is kind of fun playing CDs instead of just clicking on a file name or the play button on JRiver Media Center. What's next? Go vinyl?!

Feb 22, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #19 of 19
The digital outputs should be ready.

I've never heard about shutting them on and off and can't imagine how one could.
You can turn the digital output off. On the remote:

Press Menu until "Digital Out" appears.
Press Enter button on the remote control.
Press the forward/back buttons to toggle between digital output ON or OFF.
Press Enter button after making a setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back