How to hi-end-ify your SRH940
Jan 19, 2012 at 2:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

clarinetman

500+ Head-Fier
After reading extrabigmehdi's review on the Shure SRH940 [http://www.head-fi.org/products/shure-srh-940/reviews/5994], I got a great idea for a reversible pad modification, based on the idea of space between the outside of the ear and the mesh on the inside of the earcup. Basically it consists of stuffing cotton balls under the pads, as such (apologies for the crap pictures):

I took approximately 7-10 cotton balls, and tore them into smaller pieces. When stuffing under the pads, I tried to keep the height consistent; after experimenting with different heights, I found the pictured to provide the best sound. It is nearly 1am right now, so I will post basic impressions as I am quite tired.

1. The improvements are immediately noticeable, most forwardly with an enhanced sense of spacial texture.
  2. Instruments come through with vastly improved separation and resolution.
  3. The entire sonic spectrum is given extra extension.
  4. The signature remains generally still balanced, but with an blatantly improved sense of detail.
  5. Bass is now deeper and more impactful, but still excellently textured.
  6. Treble, especially in regard to percussion instruments, is more extended and has far better micro-detail.
  7. The comfort level is also improved, giving the cans a Beyer-like quality.

Keeping it brief, I will be very surprised if nobody has conceived this idea for a mod yet, so if I'm "stealing" somebody else' idea, you have my compliments. If you have a pair of SRH940, or even 840, I highly suggest checking this mod out, it's quite worth it, and fully reversible if you don't like it.

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #4 of 65

Quote:
High end and shure srh940 never go together. Trying extremely low end.

The headphone that is often compared to being very close to a Sennheiser HD800 in the right setup you call "extremely low end"?

Jan 19, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #6 of 65

Quote:
Yes because vocals and bass are atrociously presented on these headphones.

These are worth maybe $120 at max.

I can't argue as I've never heard them but I think alot of people would disagree.

Jan 19, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #7 of 65
warning enter darkness is trolling, he was on the ATH M50 dethroned thread saying they are the best, so he thinks M50's are better than SRH940...

Jan 19, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #8 of 65

Quote:
warning enter darkness is trolling, he was on the ATH M50 dethroned thread saying they are the best, so he thinks M50's are better than SRH940...

Trolling? How dare you.

I am completely being honest. The m50s are better then the shure srh940.

Jan 19, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #9 of 65

M50's better than Shure 940's? Everyone has a right to their opinion.

The 940 is bright but in my mind it's a far better headphone than the M50.

Then again if your collection is a big bunch of electronica and pop, things could be different.

Jan 19, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #10 of 65

Quote:
The headphone that is often compared to being very close to a Sennheiser HD800 in the right setup you call "extremely low end"?

I believe there are only two or three people who compared them to the HD800. 

I used to own SRH940 and I have heard the HD800. There is nothing to be compared with - comparing the SRH940 to the HD800 is like comparing a clown fish and a shark. Imo, the SRH940 belongs somewhere between low and mid-fi in terms of overall sound quality. Are they worth 299? Definitely not. $199? Maybe not because the SRH840 can be had for much cheaper. 

Jan 19, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #11 of 65

Quote:

M50's better than Shure 940's? Everyone has a right to their opinion.

The 940 is bright but in my mind it's a far better headphone than the M50.

Then again if your collection is a big bunch of electronica and pop, things could be different.

Try heavy metal

Quote:
I believe there are only two or three people who compared them to the HD800. 

I used to own SRH940 and I have heard the HD800. There is nothing to be compared with - comparing the SRH940 to the HD800 is like comparing a clown fish and a shark. Imo, the SRH940 belongs somewhere between low and mid-fi in terms of overall sound quality. Are they worth 299? Definitely not. $199? Maybe not because the SRH840 can be had for much cheaper. 

I'd pay no more then $120 for them. Seeing as you can find the shure srh840 for under $100 used. The shure srh840 is a much superior headphone.

Jan 19, 2012 at 5:10 AM Post #12 of 65

Quote:
I'd pay no more then $120 for them. Seeing as you can find the shure srh840 for under $100 used. The shure srh840 is a much superior headphone.

I have to disagree with you here. The SRH840 is not that much better. Imo, they're in the same class. Which one is better or worse depends on one's preference. 

Jan 19, 2012 at 5:29 AM Post #14 of 65

Quote:
I have to disagree with you here. The SRH840 is not that much better. Imo, they're in the same class. Which one is better or worse depends on one's preference. 

I own both and have done multiple comparisons. To me the shure srh840 is an amazing headphone for the price. And the shure srh940 is an overpriced pair of headphones. Shure is using their reputation of good value to sell something over priced. And it worked. Seeing as i bought it.

Jan 19, 2012 at 6:44 AM Post #15 of 65
I believe there was a similar mod with the M50, only folded up electrical tape was used.

My $0.02, I have the M50 and the 940, and while the M50 has a overall "smoother" sound, the 940 had better treble control and LOADS more resolution and detail. The M50 and the 940 were pretty much on par with female vocals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back