How to guide to replacing Beyerdynamic headphone adjusters plus massive Kudos to Beyerdynamics customer service
Jan 11, 2013 at 11:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Kodhifi

500+ Head-Fier
I use my DT 880's a lot. Like in 3 years I've gone through 3 sets of the lush velour earpads. Enough that I wore out the headphone adjustment clickers. I tried to find replacement parts on their site but did not see that part listed, so I wrote an email to Beyerdynamic North America.

Mike Terranova responded with the part number of the part I was describing and an offer to send them to me free of charge, on their dime. No questions of where I purchased them, or if they were in warranty, he just shipped them to me and a mere 3 days later the envelope arrived tonight. The kind of envelope you could ship a fabrege egg in and not get a scratch, all for 2 little bits of plastic. Amazing customer service and kudos.

I did a video showing how to disassemble and replace the parts and I also took some photographs to share.

Here they are.

The video

The photos

Beginning

The two replacement parts, part number [size=11.0pt]183539[/size]

Disassembly

1. Undo the two screws here

2. Now is a good time to clean the inside of the stainless steel spring. Don't lose the screws!

3. Here is the plastic bit that needs to be replaced. It is open on one side, just slide it off.

4. Slide the new part on. In the photo this is the left speaker, the opening needs to be facing the direction of the arrow as in the photo and the smooth cylinder side is up, the cut out cylinder is on the back.

Reassembly

5. My trick for putting it back together is to stick a screw through one half of the plastic, and through the metal headband so that it holds it in place. I pinch it between my fingers and carefully allign the back piece with the stainless steel spring until it finds the screw hole, then I wiggle them together until they click and there is no gap. Put the plastic sliding headphone clip at the bottom so that you can insert the adjustment all the way in, makes it easier. Now while pinching the two halves together tighten the screw a bit, then repeat with the other screw hole, then tighten the rest of the way

6. Bingo! Your headphones should click and stay in place as good as new!

Thanks again Beyerdynamic for your great customer service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back