How to get custom IEMs in Europe at US prices
Mar 5, 2007 at 10:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Nick H.

Head-Fier
I'm in London. I found an audiologist in Miami who would use impressions made by my local audiologist and order some UM-2s and ship them to me. I haven't done this yet - and now I think I want UE-10s anyway. Anybody else tried this method? I was hoping to persuade the guy to send me the manual and receipt separately and put a note in with the IEMs saying that they had been repaired - that way I might escape duty and VAT.

Mar 6, 2007 at 12:13 PM Post #4 of 11
They're a neat idea but I prefer not to have anything protruding from my ear, partly because earphones attract muggers where I live, partly because I like to wear them when cycling and some people get very irate and shout at you because they think it's dangerous and partly because sometimes I like to use IEMs as earplugs to help me sleep.

Mar 6, 2007 at 12:46 PM Post #5 of 11
You can get custom iems in the UK. Have a look at ACS T2.

You are on dodgy ground relying on an import with false valuations, you need to be aware that the penalties for doing this place you as the guilty party and you could be liable for duty, vat, penalties and/or confiscation of goods.

The customs in the UK have a lot more power than people think and they can even make the taxman seem nice! For instance look at all the hassle of the day trippers to France for the cheap booze & ciggies getting their purchases and cars confiscated.

However, if you find a legit way to get them at US prices and save on tax let us know and good luck.

Mar 6, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #6 of 11
There's no legit way, but I've done it plenty of times with computers and bicycle stuff.

I didn't know about ACS. Just been reading the review of the T2s - very interesting. If only there was some way to audition them against other IEMs. They must be just about the most expensive anywhere, but I'm a big fan of British hi-fi. How do you rate them?

Mar 6, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick H. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's no legit way, but I've done it plenty of times with computers and bicycle stuff.

I didn't know about ACS. Just been reading the review of the T2s - very interesting. If only there was some way to audition them against other IEMs. They must be just about the most expensive anywhere, but I'm a big fan of British hi-fi. How do you rate them?

I've had/used Ety ER4p, Westone UM2, Moda Vibes, Shure E500 and all pale into insignificance where the T2 are concerned. I'd expect the same to be true of the UE10s as well but as stated they are not easily procured in the UK at a reasonable price. Bearing in mind with custom fits there may be some refitting/secondary impressions etc it's nice to be in the same country as the supplier.

I know ACS said that the first set I had would be re-used to create some demo T2 (with universal fit of some kind I guess) so perhaps you can get some sort of feel for them if you contact ACS direct.

I'm of the opinion that most of us custom iem users would not easily go back to a standard fit universal iem, though we may still be pining about the hurt to our wallets.

Mar 6, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #8 of 11
Well, I think I'm pretty much sold. I paid £375 for some E5Cs and was very happy with them when used with my Canford amp. And it seems quite a few people reckon the T2s are a substantial improvement on the E500s, which are very similar to E5cs (I think?) So perhaps I'll be able to convince myself that £499 for T2s would be money well spent. I like the idea of the soft silicone and the certainty of getting a perfect fit with the manufacturer so close.

Mar 6, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by StevieDvd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know ACS said that the first set I had would be re-used to create some demo T2 (with universal fit of some kind I guess) so perhaps you can get some sort of feel for them if you contact ACS direct.

Erm, I thought they re-use the drivers and just give it a new silicone shell? If not, then they would have thrown out £998 worth for my 2 refits...

Anyways Nick H. Before I sent mine off for the 2nd refit (still waiting for them to come back), I had some slight sound imbalances between L & R due to differences in fit; basically there was less bass & more treble in R. But even without a perfect fitting it was as good or better than E500.

Mar 7, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by The-One /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Erm, I thought they re-use the drivers and just give it a new silicone shell? If not, then they would have thrown out £998 worth for my 2 refits...

Anyways Nick H. Before I sent mine off for the 2nd refit (still waiting for them to come back), I had some slight sound imbalances between L & R due to differences in fit; basically there was less bass & more treble in R. But even without a perfect fitting it was as good or better than E500.

The biggest factor in the price is labour not the drivers, as you've discovered sometimes this can mean a few refits. When my first pair were not fitting well I was asked if I wanted to keep them while the replacements were done. That's when Andy told me that for a new set they would use new drivers and use the old ones for demos etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back