How To Get Best Soundstage while retaining Bass
Nov 17, 2008 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

fateicon

100+ Head-Fier
Since it's the holidays, I'm looking for audio gear I can ask for. I've currently got a stock RS-1 with both bowls and flats, SR-60 with its stock foam(which I cut holes in), stock Darkvoice 332 with the combo everyone loves(mullard m8100, those Ukranian 6s19s or whatever), stock Arcam 73, Ibasso P2, and some regular gold-plated rca interconnects that came with my old Sony minidisc player. I also have a pair of what I believe are circumaural pads that fit over my RS-1 bowls and widen the soundstage a bit(but also thin the music).

I just got the flats, and while they're great for Metal and things that don't have a lot of dynamics, they're pretty bad for a lot of other stuff. They muddy and blur everything up while restricting the soundstage. I don't like bowls by themselves on a lot because they can be real shrill.

So I'm wondering if I should get the c-pads from Larry at headphile, a GS-1000, or something like an AKG 701. I don't have anywhere I can try the AKG, but it sounds like it'd be pretty awesome. I don't like Senns much. I preferred the HD 600 to the 650 and the models below it, but really didn't like any of em.

I've tried other cd players like Rega Apollo and Saturn, Quad cdp-2, and maybe that was it. I thought that the Apollo just rolled off treble and didn't do anything well as my Arcam. The Saturn felt a bit like the Arcam but I left with the impression that it didn't do anything better and just rolled off the treble. Quad felt like the Arcam but less natural.

By far the biggest differences arise from changing pads. I'm thinking that's what I need to look at as opposed to amps or sources.

Nov 18, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #3 of 11
Try a K-1000 with a subwoofer. You'll get the bass with miles of soundstage. I think there are a pair or two of K-1000s in the For Sale Forum right now.

Nov 18, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #6 of 11
so those akgs are bass deficient some? I didn't tape the circumaural pads, just put them in front of the bowls. I'm thinking of using the akg or c-pads more for film scores and old cds with alot of dynamics. I'm pretty sure I saw something with the c-pad that allowed you to plug and unplug holes.

Nov 18, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #7 of 11
Probably Fitz Modded W5000.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 18, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #9 of 11
most headphones with Wide soundstage are generally open and hence Bass is poor.
Dont know about Soundstage but FiiO E3 is a good way to Add bass to such headphones without any distortion or loss of details

Nov 18, 2008 at 9:19 AM Post #11 of 11
x2 on K1000 with subwoofer.
Punch and details from the K1000, with extension from the subwoofer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back