How to: from iMac to main system?
Jul 23, 2008 at 10:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

greggf

1000+ Head-Fier
How do I get internet streaming radio from my iMac, which is upstairs, to my main stereo system, which is based around a Rogue Audio integrated, which is downstairs?

What kind(s) of device(s) are needed? How expensive are they?

How would the sound quality be? How would it be, sound-wise, compared to FM or to satellite radio?

Jul 23, 2008 at 10:57 AM Post #2 of 10
I highly recommend the Apple AirPort Express.
Stream wireless from the iMac (running iTunes) to the AirPort Express downstairs. It even have a bit-perfect digital (optical) out, if you want to go that route.

..and its only $99.00.

Jul 24, 2008 at 8:22 AM Post #3 of 10
Thanks, krmathis!

Jul 24, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #4 of 10
You're most welcome!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 24, 2008 at 11:15 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do I get internet streaming radio from my iMac, which is upstairs, to my main stereo system, which is based around a Rogue Audio integrated, which is downstairs?

What kind(s) of device(s) are needed? How expensive are they?

How would the sound quality be? How would it be, sound-wise, compared to FM or to satellite radio?

As krmathis said, airport express. That is how I listen on my main speaker system. All digital since I feed toslink into my receiver.

However, radio station on iTunes are usually streaming at a low bit rate. So the sound quality is so so even at the source.

If you are streaming from anything but iTunes, standard setup will NOT route the audio to the airport express. You will need airfoil:

Rogue Amoeba - Airfoil: Send Any Audio to the AirPort Express

Their soundSource freebie is a great tool to toggle between audio output, btw.

P.K.

Jul 24, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #6 of 10
I use iTunes streaming to Apple TV which is hooked into my entertainment center with my stereo.

ATV rules.

Jul 25, 2008 at 8:54 AM Post #7 of 10
So I guess the real question is:

Is internet radio worth it?

I mean, in terms of sound quality.

Do high bit rates download well, or does all the data cause glitches? Will my ISP, Hughes, penalize me for using excess bandwidth?

How does the sound quality of satellite radio compare to the sound quality of internet radio, overall?

Jul 25, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #8 of 10
^^^

Don't expect high quality audio. But its certainly listenable.
I listen to quite a lot of internet radio (di.fm @ 192kbps) and find its quality enough for background music while browsing the web, etc.

The amount of glitches and/or other problems depends on a lot of factors. Your connection, stability of the streamed music, and more.

You don't mention which ISP you use, so hard to guess if they will penalize for excess bandwidth usage. So do, some don't.

Jul 26, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #9 of 10
thanks!!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back