How to fix the D2 Bass Rolloff.
Nov 10, 2008 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Punnisher

Headphoneus Supremus
I was messing around with my D2 and I figured out an easy way to counteract the bass rolloff problem in the D2. Since people always complain about it, I might as well post this.

The equalizer on the D2 can only control frequencies from 80Hz and above. It can obviously play lower frequencies than 80Hz, but they seem to attenuate the lower you go from there.

What I did was to keep the equalizer flat but move all the sliders down the same amount. I have all mine at -5.

This makes it necessary to turn up the volume higher to reach listening level. But what you will now notice is that it also boosted the bass lower than 80Hz, where the D2's equalizer can't reach. Since it cannot control these frequencies, we are simply making the frequency response more flat by lowering the volume of the entire range to that of the very low frequencies.

Note: Mach3Bass also boosts frequencies lower than the EQ can go, but it makes the bass more boomy and doesn't extend as low as the EQ method I mentioned.

Nov 11, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #4 of 20
I remember I tried this when I had it but it went nowhere near to actually fixing the problem, still it's a helpful point.

Nov 11, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #5 of 20
I have to try this. That is a great tip, and so simple. I can't believe I didn't think of that.
ph34r.gif
beerchug.gif

Can't wait to get home and test this now (rocking the Clip at work today).

Nov 11, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any player that cannot actually play those frequencies because the hardware is unable to with low ohm phones will only boost a boom not the actual signal but yeah fun.

I tried this using Grados and it deepened the bass response quite a bit. It doesn't sound boomy to me.

Though an unfortunate side effect to this method is the boosting of frequencies beyond 12kHz. This can make the mids sound recessed.

I am using -3 and it seems to be a happy medium. It brings out the bass a little and seems to increase the range of the music nicely.

Nov 11, 2008 at 10:38 AM Post #8 of 20
i think the D2 responds well in the low end, its just more balanced than the typical ipod. the D2 is the etymotic of the dap world, its cold but accurate and not boomy, wheras your typical ipod is lets say the shure se530 of the DAP world. its warm and certainly fun but not as flat as some may like.

i find the D2 with my se530 a perfect mix, the warmth of the se530 makes the D2 sound nice, i cant imagine what the er4p with the D2 would be like, a damn cold pain in the ear is a good guess

Nov 11, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #9 of 20
the d2 with easy to drive large phones is wonderful but with iems, it is far from flat... very very far from flat. i starts to roll off before 80hz and does not make much good except for treble at that point. the eq effects help but do not make a van gogh into a monet.

Nov 11, 2008 at 11:43 PM Post #10 of 20
i did this, i think i can notice a slight difference in the bass. thanks!

Nov 12, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #11 of 20
thanks!
but ther seams do down in soundstage,it sound great whit hip-hop end electro but when i play my Buena vista social club Chan Chan(in Flac at 1080B/s) i´m lost in the room before i had a prefect pic of the band now it kind of muddy in the position of the instruments to me!

Nov 12, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #12 of 20
I see what you mean. If you adjust it too far (like my original post suggested) then the mids will be recessed. -3 seems to be a better balance to my ears.

Then again I'm using grados to test this, so YMMV.

Nov 12, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #13 of 20
Well, tried the trick and it does deepen the bass a bit, not much, but a bit. I can't help feeling it recesses the midrange a bit though.
Tested with -3 and Denon c700's, which have good all-round properties.

Nov 13, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ah, the denon c700: the phone that started the good build quality open canalphone craze. wonderful phones. i had them with the d2 though and could not get used to it.

They sound great with the '-3' trick. It increases the headroom on the D2 thus dynamic range perfectly
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back