How to explain the money put into this hobby :)
Jul 5, 2008 at 6:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

hockeyb213

BANNED: BAD TRADER
If you already have a pair of very good universal iem's (in my case shure 530's) and you want to get a pair of customs (lets just say ue-11's) what would the best way to explain to friends and/or family about why it is ok that I am paying so much for them and why it is not a frivolous or ridiculous purchase

Jul 5, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #2 of 46
It's best not to tell them. If they ask, brush them off with "it wasn't bad" or "I got a good deal." Don't tell them unless you're pinned down and asked several times.

Those on the outside don't understand, even if they have expensive hobbies themselves. So don't make too much of it and come visit your support group here.
wink.gif

Jul 5, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #3 of 46
well thing is my parents are sorta in control of when I buy things they are not saying no they are just barraging me with comments like it is stupid or things like it is frivolous and I just want to give them an answer that would get them off of me with the comments
smily_headphones1.gif

also it is not the money I have a job and I have a lot more in my budget then what the ue-11's cost so no big deal there

Jul 5, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #4 of 46
A love for music is a human universal and is biologically entrenched in our minds. It's not very surprising that some people are willing to spend the bucks so that they can listen to what makes them happy in high fidelity. Nobody has trouble paying for a nice frame of glasses or contacts, and listening to Chopin with a pair of iBuds is the equivalent of trying to read A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man with beer goggles on.

Also, if your parents are into wine you can do the whole "a pair of headphones is like a fine wine to my sonic taste buds" bit.

If all else fails, lie to them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #5 of 46
haha nice one yeah I am just going to say it is my only hobby yata yata I have plenty of money yata yata until they just get tired and just give in I wish my parents could here them because I am sure if they did they would stop bugging me
smily_headphones1.gif
I am just angry at my dad since he invests so much cash into his stereo that he gives me a tough time for getting something that costs less then my computer
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #6 of 46
G1ll;4428617 said:
Nobody has trouble paying for a nice frame of glasses or contacts, and listening to Chopin with a pair of iBuds is the equivalent of trying to read A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man with beer goggles on.

/QUOTE]

I loved that analogy. Will be using it for the rest of my life to defend myself whenever this topic comes up. Which is it because I'm buying SE530s. Just wanted to say, amazing analogy!

Jul 5, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #7 of 46
"Be happy I'm not doing drugs instead."

Jul 5, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #8 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by tk3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Be happy I'm not doing drugs instead."

haha I actually made a comment one day to my parents would you rather me use it on something destructive to my life like XXXX XXXXXX person who my whole family knows and it was a funny few minutes afterword
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #9 of 46
I usually don't tell them, unless they ask.
If they comment negatively, I usually brush it off. Telling them that we all have our own hobbies, which cost a lot of money (cars, boats, headphones, whatever ...).

That usually shut them up.

Jul 5, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #11 of 46
My suggestion is that you should attempt to explain. Sound and music are a very important part of your life. There are things that others take for granted that they don't even think about. For example, a HD television with Direct TV or some other cable equivalent would cost almost as much, or more than the UE-11 every year! Or, the difference in gasoline costs between a Toyata Corolla and a Mercedes SUV (any SUV or full size pick-up) would be more than the UE-11's every year! What kind of car do your parents own? Why not a 1998 used Yugo? Because the kind of car they drive is important to them. Those are just a few suggestions. Hope this helps.

Jul 5, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #12 of 46
robenco18;4428639 said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by G1ll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nobody has trouble paying for a nice frame of glasses or contacts, and listening to Chopin with a pair of iBuds is the equivalent of trying to read A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man with beer goggles on.

/QUOTE]

I loved that analogy. Will be using it for the rest of my life to defend myself whenever this topic comes up. Which is it because I'm buying SE530s. Just wanted to say, amazing analogy!

It truly amazes me how ignorant people are when it comes for headphones. They'll accept a hobby like souping up one's car no problem but gods forbid they discover that you spent more than a double mocha steaming pile espresso on a pair of cans.

"It makes my music sound better" is somehow a less acceptable defense than "it makes my car look pretty and go faster [size=xx-small]and makes up for what I lack in my pants[/size]."

I know the latter is a stereotype[size=xx-small](?)[/size]. It's about as ignorant as writing off a headphone junkie.
biggrin.gif

Jul 5, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #13 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luckyleo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My suggestion is that you should attempt to explain. Sound and music are a very important part of your life. There are things that others take for granted that they don't even think about. For example, a HD television with Direct TV or some other cable equivalent would cost almost as much, or more than the UE-11 every year! Or, the difference in gasoline costs between a Toyata Corolla and a Mercedes SUV (any SUV or full size pick-up) would be more than the UE-11's every year! What kind of car do your parents own? Why not a 1998 used Yugo? Because the kind of car they drive is important to them. Those are just a few suggestions. Hope this helps.

lol both my farthers cars get less then 20 to the gallon one being 11
smily_headphones1.gif
good idea

Jul 5, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #14 of 46
It's like me wanting to buy a new guitar. My dad'll say, "You've already got one. Why do you need another?!". They just don't understand. Thus, from that point onwards, I decided. Think whether I really want it, check budget, buy first, tell later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back