How To: Edit MP3 audio tag information using Windows XP
Nov 3, 2010 at 8:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

stevenswall

1000+ Head-Fier
Nov 4, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #2 of 6
Bump - Tried this on a family member... Didn't understand the purpose of the instructions, though they where eventually successful, but I think most people on HeadFi should understand, especially concerning large music collections. It's no good if it's not organized.

Nov 6, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #3 of 6
Unfortunately XP is >10 years old and is about to be phased out.

Fortunately the properties sheet is the same for Windows7.

And while I know how to use the XP properties sheet even for bulk edits, I find it easier to use MP3Tag (and Foobar for auto numbering)

Suggestion: Also include the sheet when multiple files are selected and indicate those fields where multiple values exist and not to mess with them... renumbering tracks using XP is tedious. 

Nov 8, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #4 of 6
MP3TAG, I use Godfather... anyway, just for basic tag editing, no software required. Thanks for the suggestion.

On another note:
XP > 10 years old is > Windows 7 > Nothing > Vista

Nov 9, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #5 of 6
Ah, technical writing. The only profession I can think of where you're paid by the words you don't write. That class was a lot of fun. I made instructions for how to create a bootable Ubuntu Linux flash drive, and it worked pretty well, even if my subjects had no clue why they were doing it.

As far as your instructions, I think they are very good. Unfortunately, I'm not the best judge because I'm already familiar with the process and am pretty computer savvy as it is.

So I'll offer some general advice. It's always a good idea to have a firm grasp on who the audience will be. It looks like you're aiming for somebody who has no prior knowledge of the process and minimal computing skills in general. That's fine, as that describes a rather large portion of the population. This being the case, if you're going to include the one picture, you may as well include a few more of the previous steps (I know, Windows Computing 101) just to cover all bases. I'm not sure how it is in your class, but my professor loved pictures. 

Also, while I can see you put a lot of effort into making this detailed and dummy proof, you might want to condense the steps just a little. Ten steps laid out might seem a little daunting to a n00b, particularly somebody new to computers and digital audio management. It's an astounding thing how little it takes for some people to just say, "Fudge it, I'm not going through all that." And if there's anything that technical writing will drill into your head, it's that less is always more. Fewer steps, fewer words, and even a well-proportioned layout (yours looks good) are all things to shoot for always.

Finally, test this out on as many people as possible. Coming to Head-Fi was a good idea, as was testing your family member. When observing others take notes on their progress but be sure not to jump in and help unless the person is really flummoxed. If there are any consistent places where people get stuck, that might be an indication of a problem area. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't know; I'm just describing what I learned and how we did things in my class.

I hope you find this at least semi-useful. BTW, where are you taking this class? I'm at Wayne State in Detroit.

Nov 9, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #6 of 6
I am actually a Senior in high school, (Nameless; you understand...) taking an online course through BYU Provo. Thanks for the feedback... I'll make sure to post here about how I get it graded. Thanks for the suggestions about pictures, I'll have to incorporate more of those into my future projects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back