How to determine optimum listening levels?
Oct 31, 2009 at 11:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

drgameboy

100+ Head-Fier
So how do you know that the volume in which you are listening to your headphones is safe, and not too loud? i am 23 year old male, and i still want to be able to enjoy music when i am in my 60's and not loose my hearing :p

Nov 1, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #2 of 9
The only way to be sure is to get an SPL meter and measure, making sure the avg. is below 80db.

Nov 1, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #4 of 9
...yes, something like this:

2094034210044175878S500x500Q85.jpg

Nov 1, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #5 of 9
A tough question. You just know that (especially if you feel physical discomfort or hear distortion). Or you do not.

If you have headphones with just a decent bass output, try to plug it into a weak amp or other source - if you still get that visceral impact, it is too loud
smily_headphones1.gif
Alternatively: put your hps off: and if you can clearly hear what's on, it is way too loud!

Nov 1, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #6 of 9
You're not gonna be enjoying much unless your headphones are tuned for the volume level you intend to listen at.

Nov 1, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're not gonna be enjoying much unless your headphones are tuned for the volume level you intend to listen at.

I dont see how. Bass gets softer with lower volumes and with a lot of equipment a little less bass couldn't hurt. The sonic signature of a headphone is far more dominant than the ELC.
Your ears will adapt to the new balance (which wont be that different from the intended one) and it will eventually approach unity where it sounds ~~the same as a louder volume.

Nov 1, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #8 of 9
Simple. Start with silence and keep turning up the volume until you can perceive a satisfactory dynamic range. The lowest volume that still renders all the detail you'd like will most often be below 80db. I've tried the shack's SPL meter and was surprised that the volumes I chose for long-term listening were in the 60s, with peaks in the low 70s.

Nov 1, 2009 at 9:41 AM Post #9 of 9
Most headphones are more balanced at lower volumes. But well it´s a known fact that higher SPL often engages you more sadly.

Listen to rock at 60 spl is not the way it´s meant to be played generally. But yes SPL metre is a must since most decent headphones can play way to loud before you start to get annoyed by distortion or uncomfort. Goes for high quality speakers as well I can play it as loud so I can´t hear people talk so I need to keep an tap on what level the volume control is at and picking up my spl metre at times to make sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back