How to determine if your headphones are producing accurate sound
Jul 1, 2001 at 6:52 AM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Sirwar
I mean, a decent car stereo can beat the **** out of headphones in pure listening pleasure with the right kind of music, even if its a a little colored.

Man, I've heard some very expensive car systems (and I'm not talking boom-car systems) that are supposed to be good (I haven't heard the Levinson/Lexus system yet), but I haven't found one yet that gives me the listening pleasure I get from a good headphone rig -- especially when the cars are moving. 75 dB of ambient noise. At least four speakers around me, with me nowhere near the center.... It's no wonder I listen to my Bose car system for little more than talk radio and audio books.

I try to play my jazz on my Bose car system, and the ambient noise just drowns out the subtle cymbal hits and bass plucking...it's like half my music disappears.

Good loudspeakers in a good home system? Yes, definitely hard to beat. But I still haven't had my ears on a car system I found very musical.

Jul 1, 2001 at 7:14 AM Post #17 of 19
like I said, it depends on the music.

classical on a nice car system sounds great when the car is basically off.

some rock sounds great real loud with all the windows open doing 80 on the interstate. A feel you just can NOT get with headphones.

However at home my Grados with the flat pads give a very up front and Personal experience that I really like as well(note: I didn't use the common term "intimate" because that infers I'm having a sexual relationship with my headphones. ...What?! Don't give me that look! I love my headphones, but not THAT much! Besides, where would I put 'it'?)

Jul 1, 2001 at 10:57 AM Post #19 of 19
Surely at the end of the day it basically just boils down to:-

IF YOU LIKE IT THEN GREAT STUFF EVERYBODY ELSE
wink.gif

No two persons ears/likes/dislikes are the same are they?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back