How to Destroy a Headphone?
Aug 21, 2010 at 5:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Paste

Head-Fier
I'm incredibly paranoid about the sonic and structural integrity on my M50. What sort of things (aside from dropping them/smashing them against things) would be able to damage them, and headphones in general? Can playing specific sounds damage the drivers? Can touching the drivers lightly through the mesh damage them? 

Thanks. 

Aug 21, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #2 of 21
...letting Tom Dickson get his hands on them for his next installment of Will It Blend.

eek.gif

How about moisture/high humidity.

Aug 21, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #3 of 21
Blender maybe?
http://www.willitblend.com

Aug 21, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #4 of 21
Nothing really. Just be careful when you use them.

Playing music at incredibly high volumes can blow out the drivers.

Watch out for the cable, and take care of it. That is usually the first problem spot for most headphones.

Aug 21, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #5 of 21
I can't say for sure about the M50, but pretty much every headphone I know has a protective grille under the mesh, which is rigid, and serves to protect the driver. The mesh itself is only for appearance.

Aug 21, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:
Can playing specific sounds damage the drivers?

If you simultaneously play Justin Bieber and Meshuggah on it, the sonics produced from this unholy union will be an abomination in nature. The resulting molecular instability in the air around the drivers will cause a wormhole to form, sucking the headphones into another dimension.

Aug 21, 2010 at 7:02 PM Post #7 of 21
The cable on my Sony's was quite fragile... it broke when I stood up and it got caught in the chair. Fixable, yes, but I don't think that I'll ever buy another headphone without a removable cable.

Aug 21, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #8 of 21
Do not use hyper-beam or Hulk-smash.  They should last.

Aug 21, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #9 of 21
The M50s are built like a tank, why are you even worrying?

Aug 21, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #10 of 21
Touching the drivers through the mesh is totally harmless. There's a protective grill. Just don't stick needles into it or anything.

Pictured here are my M50s with velour pads and no mesh.

Aug 21, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #11 of 21

Quote:

If you simultaneously play Justin Bieber and Meshuggah on it, the sonics produced from this unholy union will be an abomination in nature. The resulting molecular instability in the air around the drivers will cause a wormhole to form, sucking the headphones into another dimension.

LMAO.

Just be careful.

Aug 21, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #13 of 21
You may be able to do additional damage to your headphone by clasping the earcups together while gripping them tightly, then mashing in and pulling out as you hear the drivers flutter and crunch with the varying pressure/vacuum difference!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back