How to decore olives for RE0?
Sep 11, 2009 at 9:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

bellsprout

500+ Head-Fier
Hey

I heard decored olives are the best tips for RE0. I have a set of Comply T400 and a set of Shure olives. How do you strip the tube from the olives? I've been trying to pry it off but it's stuck on really hard

Sep 11, 2009 at 10:10 AM Post #2 of 16
Use razor blade or any sharp knife to cut (a little bit at a time) along the wall of the tube where the foam glued on.

Sep 11, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #4 of 16
Will the olives just not fit at all on the RE0 barrel/nozzle? The Comply T-400 is a tight but easy fit.

Sep 11, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #6 of 16
i use a soldering iron do melt out the rubber, then glue in some heat shrinking tube that fits onto the sound tube of the iem´s.
did not test it with any other iem than ue tf10, but with these it works perfectly.
the advantage of "melting out - gluing in" is that the tips will sit tight and not slip as easyly as it happens with decored tips. the melting is more easy than cutting it out, plus it will leave a better surface for the glue.

Sep 11, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by motorbit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i use a soldering iron do melt out the rubber, then glue in some heat shrinking tube that fits onto the sound tube of the iem´s.
did not test it with any other iem than ue tf10, but with these it works perfectly.
the advantage of "melting out - gluing in" is that the tips will sit tight and not slip as easyly as it happens with decored tips. the melting is more easy than cutting it out, plus it will leave a better surface for the glue.

Wow, interesting suggestion! The soldering iron will only melt the plastic core but not the foam itself?

Sep 11, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #8 of 16
Will try the melting.I just ordered the RE0's and still have a ton of olives left from my shures.
Thanks for the advice.

Sep 12, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #9 of 16
Once I got it started using a small, pointed knife I just used my fingernails to scrape the foam away from the core. As long as the core is separating without retaining any significant amount of foam you'll be fine no matter how much you brutalize the foam. As others have said, these things are nearly indestructible -- set it down for a few minutes and the foam will return to form.

It would be really nice if someone would aftermarket olive knockoffs of this quality to fit different size tips. The olives are a truly remarkable, quality product.

Oct 21, 2009 at 7:10 AM Post #13 of 16
Bah! I came here looking for the best price/place to pick up these much heralded olives, but no dice.
frown.gif
(cause, you know, I expect MORE from a head-fi thread)
biggrin.gif

Still, I dig the soldering idea!

Oct 21, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #14 of 16
i have found that there isn't really a need to decore them but you can stretch them open using needle nose pliers. It may feel like you are going to rip them apart but quite a lot of force is required to stretch them enough to fit them on say re0s or ue tips. It is possible though and holds them much more securely than decoring. Getting them off can be a pain though.

Nov 5, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #15 of 16
I just wound up using my fingernail and pushing the foam back. After alternating to the other side, I'd say it took no more than a few minutes. They fit kinda loose up to the silver part and get stuck in my ears. If I push them back over the silver, they'll stay on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back