How to correctly balance volume/signal controls between headphone, amp, and DAC?
May 26, 2019 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

arconreef

New Head-Fier
So my current audio setup has 3 different volume/amplification controls.

Realtek/SupremeFX software amplification setting -> Vali amplification knob -> Sennheiser PC37X volume knob

Obviously I should leave all software volume sliders at 100%, but how should I balance the rest of it?

The SupremeFX audio driver software has 3 amplification levels: Performance, Powerful, and Extreme. Should I just leave it on Performance and let the Vali do all the work? I thought about that but because Performance is very quiet I'm worried the current output might be so low that some detail will be completely lost before the Vali has a chance to amplify it. Is that fear unfounded?

How does the Sennheiser volume knob work on a technical level, and does it impact audio fidelity? Does it matter if I turn down the Vali and crank the Sennheiser volume knob to max volume, or vice versa?

May 27, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #2 of 2
So my current audio setup has 3 different volume/amplification controls.

Realtek/SupremeFX software amplification setting -> Vali amplification knob -> Sennheiser PC37X volume knob

Obviously I should leave all software volume sliders at 100%, but how should I balance the rest of it?

I'd avoid having a volume control on the headphone but if you really don't want to get rid of that cable on that headphone then just set it to max and control the volume using the Vali.

How does the Sennheiser volume knob work on a technical level, and does it impact audio fidelity? Does it matter if I turn down the Vali and crank the Sennheiser volume knob to max volume, or vice versa?

Headphone in-line volume control is passive so it works more like a plumbing valve than step up voltage converter. Leave it at max and use the Vali to control master volume, then use the in-line control for quick adjustments (like your mom shouting or a window breaking).

The SupremeFX audio driver software has 3 amplification levels: Performance, Powerful, and Extreme. Should I just leave it on Performance and let the Vali do all the work? I thought about that but because Performance is very quiet I'm worried the current output might be so low that some detail will be completely lost before the Vali has a chance to amplify it. Is that fear unfounded?

That's gain setting and not volume. If you're using a headphone output jack to feed the Vali, leave the software gain setting to the lowest possible setting, unless it totally handicaps the Vali's total output or results in more noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back