How to convert USB to optical audio?
Jan 12, 2015 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

AgentCOPP1

100+ Head-Fier
I bought a DAC that requires an optical line into it, but my computer does not have any optical output in it. I found the Peachtree Audio X1 which does just that, however it has limited availability and is also pretty expensive... well, just more than I'd want to spend on this. Are there any other components out there that do the same thing but are maybe a bit cheaper?

Jan 13, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #5 of 26
Might be worth check whether your line out socket doesn't double up as an optical output, I seem to remember seeing that in some laptop specs.

Otherwise, I'd get something like this;

http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detail/sound-cards-accessories/audio-advantage-micro-ii/31

Edit: Scratch that, it didn't get very good review here;

Jan 13, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #6 of 26
Those are both excellent choices. gevorg, what do you mean it's limited to redbook? I like the looks of that device as I could also use it for other things.

Also, I don't think my laptop's audio out is capable as an optical out. You can double check if you feel the desire to (MSI GT70), but I couldn't find anything on it.

Jan 13, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #7 of 26
If your laptop is Apple just buy the mini optical cable and plug it into the headphone jack just like it shows in the video. Make sure to get the right cable.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-h9HACan-s8

Jan 13, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #8 of 26
You might be in luck, from the manual here;

http://www.msi.com/support/nb/GT70_0NC.html#down-manual

Headphone out/ SPDIF-out
Š
Used for speakers or headphones. The S/PDIF connector is
also provided for digital audio transmission to external
speakers through an optical fiber cable.
Š

Red Book describes the format of audio CDs. This usually means the device supports sample rathes of 44.1/48khz at 16 bit depth.

I'm one of those that think anything beyond this is inaudable to humans, but it's a hotly debated subject!

Jan 13, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #9 of 26
Hot damn I think you're right. I can't even begin to imagine where that connector they provided me might have gone, so I'll just have to buy a new one. That's good news. Thanks dude, that's extremely helpful!

There's still the question of whether or not the mini optical cable will work with it. I'll need to double check.

Jan 13, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #10 of 26
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CM6631-24bit-192khz-USB-to-Coaxial-and-Optical-fiber-designed-by-weiliang-/130868726770?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e78624bf2

Jan 13, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #11 of 26
Those are both excellent choices. gevorg, what do you mean it's limited to redbook? I like the looks of that device as I could also use it for other things.

It says its limited to 48KHz so it means you can play standard 16-bit audio like CD rips, but not high resolution tracks like the ones that come from HDTracks (24-bit 96KHz and up).

Jan 14, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #12 of 26
I was finally able to figure out how to make my laptop output S/PDIF. It does work with mini Toslink cable, and I just had to change some obscure settings to make it ask me whether or not I want analog or digital out anytime I plugged something into the audio out jack. Thanks for your help everyone.

Mar 19, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #13 of 26
Off topic but I can use some help
I’ve got a Aurender n100h for my secondary system into a Hugo2
I’m very happy with both the tos input and coax input to Hugo2 but the N100h is usb out only, I’ve never optimized usb. I’ve got a $100 wireworld usb to mini usb cable. Any benefits to a reclocker? The N100h does not have the ovenized clock nor the low jitter/ phase noise of my N10. Any suggestions for a reasonably priced shop upgrade? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #14 of 26
Since Apple, sadly, killed optical output in newer models, the question is back. What is currently advised for USB to Optical conversion?

Aug 18, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #15 of 26
Since Apple, sadly, killed optical output in newer models, the question is back. What is currently advised for USB to Optical conversion?
I recommend Schiit Eitr. Converts usb to coaxial and optical and improved sound quality, in my opinion. Schiit currently has closeout units on their product page at a good price.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back