How to connect Walkman WM1A to Schiit Magni/Modi 3?
Aug 1, 2020 at 10:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Raven777777

New Head-Fier
The title says it all. I am trying to connect my walkman to my setup. How do I do it? What cables are needed? I upgraded to the WM1A from my Fiio M11. With the M11, I connected a digital coaxial cable from the DAC to Fiio's coaxial adapter into the M11. Now how do I connect with the walkman? Thank you in advanced!

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #2 of 9
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-WMC-NWH10-Conversion-Cable-Output/dp/B00FF086HE

This maybe would work, but your going to need a confirmation from someone with your DAC. This is typically what we use, but keep in mind it does not work on all DACs. :)

Cheers.

6184E3FA-4FA2-444B-A89B-2C4E3BE0F302.png
138136F6-AC65-49BE-8AE4-8F67158FB83E.png

This works with USB. If you don’t have that option then you need to go analog out to your amp as the possible second best solution. It may sound better going analog out? Typically it’s better not to have two volume controls but not always.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #4 of 9
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-WMC-NWH10-Conversion-Cable-Output/dp/B00FF086HE

This maybe would work, but your going to need a confirmation from someone with your DAC. This is typically what we use, but keep in mind it does not work on all DACs. :)

Cheers.

6184E3FA-4FA2-444B-A89B-2C4E3BE0F302.png138136F6-AC65-49BE-8AE4-8F67158FB83E.png

This works with USB. If you don’t have that option then you need to go analog out to your amp as the possible second best solution. It may sound better going analog out? Typically it’s better not to have two volume controls but not always.

Well, that picture you uploaded is actually the Modi Multibit, this one I uploaded is the one I have, the Modi 3. With that cable you showed me, I think I figured it out. I can use that sony adapter with a USB A-Micro B cable, then insert the Micro b half into the Modi. If someone can confirm this, that would be great.

Also, prices for that Sony adapter seem inflated. Wondering if I can find it cheaper or is that the normal price?

Attachments

• modi3-rr-1920.jpg
    modi3-rr-1920.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 0
Aug 1, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #5 of 9
Well, that picture you uploaded is actually the Modi Multibit, this one I uploaded is the one I have, the Modi 3. With that cable you showed me, I think I figured it out. I can use that sony adapter with a USB A-Micro B cable, then insert the Micro b half into the Modi. If someone can confirm this, that would be great.

Also, prices for that Sony adapter seem inflated. Wondering if I can find it cheaper or is that the normal price?

Here is the thing. It’s confusing as typically your not supposed to what they call double amp. And normally double amping is having two volume controls in action. But the Sony DAPs are actually very quite and due to the unconventional process they do, many actually go 3.5mm out. I’m not sure about 4.4mm out?

Then you would get a cable that was 3.5mm out to RCA. Your bypassing your Schiit DAC at this methodology. And it may be better? You just have to test both ways and see. Typically though going as a file sever to your Schiit DAC is the way most would try and go?
The NWH10 is normally $30? But the price changes too.

Also there is no proof I’ve read the NWH10 will join with the Schiit DAC. You just have to try it. Or get a result from someone who has tried it.

I could not get the cable to work with my 10 year old DACMagic Plus made by Cambridge Audio. But it does work with my Sony TA desktop.

Aug 1, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #6 of 9
You could go directly from the WM1A to the Magni with a 3.5mm unbalanced -> RCA cable
Here is the thing. It’s confusing as typically your not supposed to what they call double amp. And normally double amping is having two volume controls in action. But the Sony DAPs are actually very quite and due to the unconventional process they do, many actually go 3.5mm out. I’m not sure about 4.4mm out?

Then you would get a cable that was 3.5mm out to RCA. Your bypassing your Schiit DAC at this methodology. And it may be better? You just have to test both ways and see. Typically though going as a file sever to your Schiit DAC is the way most would try and go?
The NWH10 is normally $30? But the price changes too.

Also there is no proof I’ve read the NWH10 will join with the Schiit DAC. You just have to try it. Or get a result from someone who has tried it.

I could not get the cable to work with my 10 year old DACMagic Plus made by Cambridge Audio. But it does work with my Sony TA desktop.
Theoretically, what situation prevents double amping?

Aug 1, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #7 of 9
Theoretically, what situation prevents double amping?

Normally it’s to be avoided but with the Sony DAPs many do, so it may not be an issue.

But going digital out with the adapter is not as there is no possible way to get a line out of the Walkmans. Older models you could but not the 1A/1Z, using USB is a digital transfer avoiding double amping.

Sep 9, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #8 of 9
Sorry to rehash an old post, but I’m experiencing the same issue…

I recently purchased the Schiit Modius DAC and want to use my Sony NM-WM1A (as a source) to feed into it. However and for reasons beyond me, I’m not getting any signal out of the Modius.

I’m wondering if anyone has successfully been able to connect a Sony NM-WM1A/Z to the Schiit Modius (or Modi) via the USB input port?

For the record, I have tried the standard WM-port cable, as well as the Sony WMC-NWH10 USB Conversion Cable (picture in the previous post) without success.

If anyone can share some light on how I can get both the Sony and Schiit to connect, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Oct 19, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #9 of 9
Sorry to rehash an old post, but I’m experiencing the same issue…

I recently purchased the Schiit Modius DAC and want to use my Sony NM-WM1A (as a source) to feed into it. However and for reasons beyond me, I’m not getting any signal out of the Modius.

I’m wondering if anyone has successfully been able to connect a Sony NM-WM1A/Z to the Schiit Modius (or Modi) via the USB input port?

For the record, I have tried the standard WM-port cable, as well as the Sony WMC-NWH10 USB Conversion Cable (picture in the previous post) without success.

If anyone can share some light on how I can get both the Sony and Schiit to connect, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Schiit DACs take PCM but as far as I know the Walkman’s output the encoded filetype: DSD, MQA, FLAC etc. If anyone knows how to make the Android walkmans output PCM they’ll work with the modis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back