How to connect schiit magni 2 to desktop?
Nov 17, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #2 of 17
If you are not using an external DAC, you can get a 3.5 mm to dual RCA cable to connect the headphone output of the computer to the RCA inputs of the amp.

It would be better to use an external DAC, though, which you can connect to the computer via USB and to the amp via RCA. If you're strapped for cash, the Behringer UCA202 audio interface (which can do many things) is just $30.

I recommend Monoprice for cables since they cost next to nothing yet are high quality.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #3 of 17
CMR-203_0017-bb1cab63ee167a0f57a1a13d09fa0ba6.jpg

Nov 17, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #4 of 17
If you are not using an external DAC, you can get a 3.5 mm to dual RCA cable to connect the headphone output of the computer to the RCA inputs of the amp.

It would be better to use an external DAC, though, which you can connect to the computer via USB and to the amp via RCA. If you're strapped for cash, the Behringer UCA202 audio interface (which can do many things) is just $30.

I recommend Monoprice for cables since they cost next to nothing yet are high quality.

connect the red & white plug to the amp and the black plug into the desktop headphone output?

Nov 17, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #6 of 17
Seems like everybody is already recommending the right way to do it. +1 about reduced sound quality though. Best way to go is to grab an external dac like the Modi 2.

If you're doing all this to make your headphones louder, it'll work. If you're doing it for better sound quality, you're halfway there without the DAC. The headphone out is already amped so you'll be getting the soundcard quality, just boosted even higher. So any distortion or noise your card puts out will be louder and noticeable

Nov 17, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #7 of 17
Seems like everybody is already recommending the right way to do it. +1 about reduced sound quality though. Best way to go is to grab an external dac like the Modi 2.

If you're doing all this to make your headphones louder, it'll work. If you're doing it for better sound quality, you're halfway there without the DAC. The headphone out is already amped so you'll be getting the soundcard quality, just boosted even higher. So any distortion or noise your card puts out will be louder and noticeable

i just wanted my music louder, the dt 990 is quiet compared to the ath m50's i was using. eventually i think i will get a dac too.

Nov 17, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #10 of 17
While most computers have a line out out of the sound card or onboard audio it is still subjected to the noise of the fans that are in the case and power supply and they can cause a lot of noise some more than others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back