How to connect computer to AVR?
Apr 5, 2014 at 3:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

JahJahBinks

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a Yulong DAC that connects to pc via USB, recently I upgraded my home theater and bought a receiver. Should I connect SPDIF out from motherboard to receiver or get a sound card that has optical out and connect to the receiver? Would a dedicated sound card provide better audio quality?

Or should I use HDMI from video card?

Apr 5, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #2 of 7
The optical from your computer will work just as well as that from a soundcard. And for two channel audio, you could always connect your Yulong to some input on the receiver.

Does your receiver have HDMI? You could also update your graphics card to one that has HDMI out. That would support multichannel HD audio if you plan on using blu-rays, whereas optical does not.

Apr 5, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #4 of 7
Does your graphics card have HDMI? If not, upgrading the graphics card is always fun to do if you use your computer for gaming :D

Apr 5, 2014 at 9:39 PM Post #6 of 7
You are golden. :) I use an older 7770 in my HTPC hooked up to my receiver in my living room. You just have to configure the HDMI audio connection through Windows sound for 5.1 output.

Don't buy an expensive HDMI cable. Either an HDMI cable works, or it doesn't. So just read reviews on somewhere like Amazon and find an inexpensive one that everyone says works :)

Apr 9, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #7 of 7
HDMI is the only real option. Optical doesn't have the bandwidth for more than 2 channels without compression which would require a sound card supporting Dolby Digital Live or DTS Connect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back