How to clean borrowed CDs?
Jun 11, 2002 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mikeg

Headphoneus Supremus
CDs from libraries often show signs of rough handling. They often have dirty surfaces, and surface scratches. Any suggestions on how, or whether to clean them before playing?

Jun 11, 2002 at 6:23 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by mikeg
CDs from libraries often show signs of rough handling. They often have dirty surfaces, and surface scratches. Any suggestions on how, or whether to clean them before playing?

Don't clean them up. That's the library's responsibility. Only clean and polish them if you plan on taking them to a used CD store for cash
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 11, 2002 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
Don't clean them up. That's the library's responsibility.

I found that my library rarely looks at the CD beyond making sure the cd and inserts match. I have asked them to clean a few that I have borrowed which they gladly did. They said that they appreciated that I didn't do it myself as often as not those that try to clean them do not know what they are doing and end up doing more harm than good.

Jun 11, 2002 at 6:53 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
Don't clean them up. That's the library's responsibility.

I found that my library rarely looks at the CD beyond making sure the cd and inserts match. I have asked them to clean a few that I have borrowed which they gladly did. They said that they appreciated that I didn't do it myself as often as not those that try to clean them do not know what they are doing and end up doing more harm than good.

Jun 11, 2002 at 8:18 PM Post #6 of 9
Would be best if the library does it. Otherwise, one can also need to clean own CDs or CDs bought used. There are several inexpensive cleaning kits on the market. Couldn't be wrong to use one of these if you follow the instructions and do it carefully. I understand that the libraries don't like home made solutions with the wrong solvent, wrong cleaning cloth and wrong technique.

Jun 13, 2002 at 1:36 AM Post #9 of 9
there was a thread I recall that discussed various cd cleaning methods. I seem to rememer the Disc Doctor as a recommended method of repairing scratched CD's.

I would clean the surface of a CD, but I would not repair scratches on a CD borrowed from anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back