How to change big jack to 3.5 mm jack on HD555
Oct 20, 2008 at 6:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

charzord

New Head-Fier
I was wondering if there are any replacement cables for the hd555's that end with a 3.5mm jack. I can't even plug them in my computer because the adapter that comes with the hd555 for converting to a 3.5mm jack is ridiculously big.

If anyone's got any ideas (cut the cable and stick a 3.5 mm jack on?) Please lmk.

Thanks!

Oct 20, 2008 at 6:57 AM Post #3 of 19
go get yourself 1/4 female to 1/8 male jack adapter
tongue_smile.gif
atsmile.gif

Oct 20, 2008 at 7:09 AM Post #5 of 19
FazAli, keep your mouth shut if you unable to read op's first post.
Ear Damage, yes, Grado adaptor is the way to go. Or you can find Sennheiser adaptor in same design as Grado(with short cord) which have even smaller 3,5 plug.

Oct 20, 2008 at 8:24 AM Post #6 of 19
u gotta change the cable and put in one with the 3.5mm jack.

But that really makes no sense mine works good enough but I hate how u have to use an adapter to use it with the PC. I guess these stuff was really designed for studio use. But hey the adapter works so what the heck.

Ain't the end of the world
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #8 of 19
has a guide on the sennheiser website how to do it but u gotta open it up and real stuff to change it. It not that simple but from what I read it can be done.

I think he said he already had the adapter he just hates how it uses an adapter and he wised the cable was a regular 3.5mm.

So only way is to go on senn website and follow the guide to replacing the cable.
smily_headphones1.gif

But LIke I said makes no sense and not worth it next thing yuh break the thing and then yuh screwed. Don't fix it if it ain't broken meng
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 20, 2008 at 8:44 AM Post #9 of 19
yeah, thats entirely true, one thing is, even if you can switch the cable out as per the senn website (not saying you can't, just don't feel like reading the procedure to do it, so I'm gonna take your word on it being relatively doable (vs say, re-cabling my D2000's, which requires de-soldering the terminals and re-soldering, and god help you if your iron runs hot))

does anyone make custom recables for the 555's? especially terminated into 3.5mm?

most cables I've seen for the senn line, such as the cardas cables for the 580/600/650, or the cardas for the 570, its all 6.3mm terminated (and really expensive at that)

Oct 20, 2008 at 3:22 PM Post #12 of 19
I did this to my 595s. Got a nice Switchcraft plug:
35HDRANAU.JPG

Black one and some silver solder.

I'm an Electrimagician, so fitting was easy[actually the plug on my A900s needs switchcrafting].

edit - Quite big admittedly.

edit2 - My 650s go into my Amp via the Senn 6" adaptor it came with. Already had a Grado one, never in a million years would I use a barrel adaptor, look incredibly weak.

Oct 20, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #13 of 19
Hey guys,

thanks for all the replies. I have one of those adapters with a cable in the middle as described by many of you, but I still find it too clunky and heavy, especially when I bring it to class where space is limited and I have some extra 5 inch adapter dangling between my laptop and my head (using the provided adapter makes the whole plug about the size of iphone..........

Therefore, I really want to change the cable. I have the instructions regarding how to, and it seems pretty doable. I really want to know if anyone makes custom 3.5mm cables for the hd555 series though =(

Thanks!

Oct 20, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, so thats a bit different need than the adapter

moon audio is showing a number of recables, but nothing for the 555 or 595, and i'm thinking the story is the same at HeadRoom

you might check APS, but at that price, why not buy something new thats terminated how you'd like it to be?

I dont want to buy something new because I don't want to spend another $100 on headphones =) I use these for my guitar, but I'd like it if I can use it for my iphone as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back