How to catalog classical music?
Aug 5, 2018 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

gimmeheadroom

Headphoneus Supremus
I have very little of it but it is quickly getting out of hand.

With most other types of music it's sensible to catalog by artist and then album. In the case of classical you have various conductors and soloists and orchestras or ensembles playing a more limited selection of works.

How do you guys catalog classical?

Aug 6, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #2 of 4
I categorise by using different types of classical work, e.g.

Violin concerto
Piano concerto
Symphonies
Chamber music
Choral
Opera
... and so on.

I suppose you could further add categories under there such as composer. Of course, you could do the reverse, sort everything by composer and have sub-categories which is probably more logical because if you buy your music from a record store, classical music is generally sorted by composer.

I don't use tags, I just organise everything by folder/filename which are fairly descriptive.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2018 at 6:57 AM Post #3 of 4
I categorise by using different types of classical work, e.g.

Violin concerto
Piano concerto
Symphonies
Chamber music
Choral
Opera
... and so on.

I suppose you could further add categories under there such as composer. Of course, you could do the reverse, sort everything by composer and have sub-categories which is probably more logical because if you buy your music from a record store, classical music is generally sorted by composer.

I don't use tags, I just organise everything by folder/filename which are fairly descriptive.

Uh, this could be a problem. Most of the time I have no idea what it even is :wink: So for now I have everything filed under Classical and then chaos under that.

Like you, I don't use tags but do use a proper folder structure. Unfortunately that doesn't work with various expensive music UIs like roon, etc. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back