How To Build One Of The World's Finest Dynamic Headphones (markl Denon AH-D5000 Mods)
Feb 24, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #797 of 811
For example each step :

Padding ear pads = Increased soundstage, more sibilance?

Dynamat on cup = Tighter bass, less bass? more sibilance?

Dynamat on driver = tighter bass, less bass? more sibilance?

I do not have the luxury of being able to mess up the headphones and some of the mods are not reversible so can anyone give me some info on what mods to do for a bit of bass tightening, better soundstage, more forward midrange.. WITHOUT lowering the bass quantity much OR making the treble any more sibiliant than it already is.... Do any of these mods make the treble smoother?

Also if you use dynamat on the cups on the D2000... Do you then dispose of the white foam stuff that is already there? Or do you put that back in there on top of the dynamat?

Feb 24, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #799 of 811
  Also is it just me that cannot see any of the images? It says "sign in to discover imageshack" I tried signing into imageshack but still cannot see the images...

So first of all, most of those early images are from 2008 and are long gone. 

Regarding your main question, most have experienced only the full meal deal (all mods done together as a synergistic package as Mark Lawton intended) and as such don't have any experience to relate other than guessing.

The two cases I've experienced with the cups - the white hollo-fill or whatever it was was removed when the Dynamat lining was done.  Myself, I added it to my D2000 because the cup is about 1/2" deeper than stock and was very boomy without it.  Cleaned it right up and the sound is tight and crisp now with both Dynamat and hollo-fill. 

You can try with and without the hollo-fill as it's the one very easily reversible mod.

I had my D7000 bone stock for a month before I sent it to Lawton for his modding - and it went from a good headphone to a great headphone, one I will never sell.  I heard NO reduction in bass, only tightening.  I heard NO sibilance before or after, and being that I'm not a treble-sensitive sort, can't help you there.  I do think in general the mods smooth the treble out and again, bass is never reduced, though I could understand if it becomes less boomy and tighter a person could interpret that as reduced bass.  I also have a D5000 that is bone stock other than Lawton angle pads and the bass is phenomenal stock already and going back and forth with my D7000 the only difference I can discern is tightness. 

The mod to me was well worth doing.  Good luck whichever way you decide.  Hope this helped. 

Feb 24, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #800 of 811

So first of all, most of those early images are from 2008 and are long gone. 

Regarding your main question, most have experienced only the full meal deal (all mods done together as a synergistic package as Mark Lawton intended) and as such don't have any experience to relate other than guessing.

The two cases I've experienced with the cups - the white hollo-fill or whatever it was was removed when the Dynamat lining was done.  Myself, I added it to my D2000 because the cup is about 1/2" deeper than stock and was very boomy without it.  Cleaned it right up and the sound is tight and crisp now with both Dynamat and hollo-fill. 

You can try with and without the hollo-fill as it's the one very easily reversible mod.

I had my D7000 bone stock for a month before I sent it to Lawton for his modding - and it went from a good headphone to a great headphone, one I will never sell.  I heard NO reduction in bass, only tightening.  I heard NO sibilance before or after, and being that I'm not a treble-sensitive sort, can't help you there.  I do think in general the mods smooth the treble out and again, bass is never reduced, though I could understand if it becomes less boomy and tighter a person could interpret that as reduced bass.  I also have a D5000 that is bone stock other than Lawton angle pads and the bass is phenomenal stock already and going back and forth with my D7000 the only difference I can discern is tightness. 

The mod to me was well worth doing.  Good luck whichever way you decide.  Hope this helped. 

Thanks for reply...

I just tried stuffing the pads with polyester out of a pillow but I do not have any plastic cups... I noticed the stage was bigger and there was more treble and a lot less bass.... Probably because it was getting lost in the gap where I added the polyester filling but didn't seal it off with a plastic cup.... I am thinking of just adding some dynamat to the cups and not doing anything else... Hopefully this will tighten up the bass a bit and remove a bit of resonance. TBH I am reasonably happy with the D2000 in stock form as I only use them as basshead headphones for electronic music anyway and have other headphones for different genres etc... but tighter bass, more forward midrange, bigger soundstage and smoother treble would be nice...

Feb 26, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #801 of 811
Anyone?

What mods can I do that will not increase the brightness / sibilance?

What about just putting dynamat on the cups and not doing anything else... what effect would that have?

I want tighter bass but I do not want to make them any more bright / sibilant than they already are..

Dec 3, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #803 of 811
Maybe i'm doing something wrong here: I can't see the images.

I own a pair of AH-D5000 which i bought in 2011. The "leather" is crumbling and i've always gotten headaches from them. I thought it was because they were so heavy or something.
I want to undertake this mod along with the overhaul i've got got in mind, but you write in the top there, that you no longer recommend using Fiberloft. I don't know what Fiberloft is, but do you recommend something else instead?

Thanks for a comprehensive explanation of your research. 

Dec 3, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #804 of 811
  Maybe i'm doing something wrong here: I can't see the images.

I own a pair of AH-D5000 which i bought in 2011. The "leather" is crumbling and i've always gotten headaches from them. I thought it was because they were so heavy or something.
I want to undertake this mod along with the overhaul i've got got in mind, but you write in the top there, that you no longer recommend using Fiberloft. I don't know what Fiberloft is, but do you recommend something else instead?

Thanks for a comprehensive explanation of your research. 

The pictures are no longer on the server they were back in 2008 (or thereabouts) so I think you can find them on Lawton Audio website. 

The pads to try are Lawton's angle pads - after about a dozen pad tests they are my favorite.  Cost is $99 I think but are real leather and should be the last one you buy. 

You can email Mark Lawton direct from his website and he will help you with the other questions regarding Fiberloft (which is akin to the polyester filling used in pillows for example).  It is/was used to attenuate the highs and/or bass a bit to aid in tuning the headphone's sound. 

Dec 3, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #805 of 811
Thanks! it turns out I have in the past perused the Lawton Audio webside when the wooden cup fell off my headphones. 

A kit to tune up headphones is available on there. That's great! I have only the one pair to mod.

Thanks again for answering.

Dec 3, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #806 of 811
Glad to help.  Denon headphones are my favorites - own all three early version models and love them all. 

Sep 27, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #807 of 811
Hey Folks,
    Got a pair of Denon D5000s that I never mod'd.  I am going to get the Lawton Pads and kit to do them at the very least.

Got a few questions though.

1) The portion of the mod with the holes on the front of the driver has not been done as much now.  I don't see that piece in the Lawton DIY kit.  Does anyone still do it and has it been a positive effect if done with something other than the original Dynamat?

2) is there any real audio effect from the aftermarket wood cups vs the D5000 cups other than cosmetics?  Even though the cosmetics is hard to resist...

Sep 27, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #808 of 811
  Hey Folks,
    Got a pair of Denon D5000s that I never mod'd.  I am going to get the Lawton Pads and kit to do them at the very least.

Got a few questions though.

1) The portion of the mod with the holes on the front of the driver has not been done as much now.  I don't see that piece in the Lawton DIY kit.  Does anyone still do it and has it been a positive effect if done with something other than the original Dynamat?

2) is there any real audio effect from the aftermarket wood cups vs the D5000 cups other than cosmetics?  Even though the cosmetics is hard to resist...

1. not sure on that one
2. I have owned multiple Denon's and the only difference I've found with aftermarket cups is when the depth is increased.  My LA7000's have Teak cups that are deeper than stock and the bass is clearly more evident.  As far as the "tonewoods" discussion, I personally have tried 5 different woods on my Denon's over the years (mahogany aka stock, teak, monkey pod, bubinga and teak) and to my 55 year old ears there was no difference.  But many have said otherwise and I can't argue with them - I just didn't hear it. 

Sep 27, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #809 of 811

1. not sure on that one
2. I have owned multiple Denon's and the only difference I've found with aftermarket cups is when the depth is increased.  My LA7000's have Teak cups that are deeper than stock and the bass is clearly more evident.  As far as the "tonewoods" discussion, I personally have tried 5 different woods on my Denon's over the years (mahogany aka stock, teak, monkey pod, bubinga and teak) and to my 55 year old ears there was no difference.  But many have said otherwise and I can't argue with them - I just didn't hear it. 

Not sure I'm following you but maybe I am.

The aftermarket cups are "deeper"  I think.  More volume.

You said the deeper cups produced more bass.  

Then later said you couldn't hear the difference.

Sep 28, 2016 at 9:16 AM Post #810 of 811

Not sure I'm following you but maybe I am.

The aftermarket cups are "deeper"  I think.  More volume.

You said the deeper cups produced more bass.  

Then later said you couldn't hear the difference.

Yes, the aftermarket cups were deeper - what I didn't notice was the difference between the wood types in sound. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back