How-to AKG K553 Pro Detachable Cable Mod (and for K550 and K551) (lot of images)
Apr 30, 2015 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

cityle

100+ Head-Fier
Disclaimer: I'm not reponsible for any damage done to your unit. Do it at your own risk.

The cable on the K553 was too long and too thick for my on-the-go use, so I decided to jump into my first attempt of a removable cable mod. (I had no experience before)

The audio jack I chose:

IMPORTANT POINTS TO NOTE:
- Wire the wires in the right way

On the audio jack: Gold: L+  Short silver: R+  Long silver: LR-

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Set up your workspace with everything you will need (NB: usually with an iron, use a humid spong, I had none in this case so I used a humid towel)

2. Remove the left pads and unscrew the 5 screws.

3. Remove carefully the driver plate and unscrew the 2 screws that secure the plastic mount
(the thin black cable is the one that go on the other side, so don't damage it)

4. Cut the cable at the desired length (not too long or otherwise you will have problem to reclose the can. Maybe a little shorter than what I did)

5. Test fit your audio jack

Had to bend the long silver and rotate it for an ideal positionning.

6. Remove the sheath on the cable

You get 3 indivudual cables at the end and remove sheath from them too

7. Burn with a lighter the insulation fiber like material among the copper (hold the flame under the exposed cables for 3-4 sec)

8. Wire the wires to the audio jack (sorry for the bad focus)

9. Solder (Use flux while soldering. Unfortunately, I had none, so it was a little more difficult to solder correctly)

10. Test if the sound comes out

I had to remove more sheath from the main cable because I was not able to bend the 3 smaller wires

11. Position and screw the audio jack (I use some hot glue afterward in order to secure it even more)

12. Close the unit (here I hot glued a part of the cable on the upper piece in order to be easier to close it)

(the cables must run on the inside of the two plastic pieces on each side in order to be able to close it)

And here is the final result!
(I used some more hot glue outside because I didn't totally align correctly the audio jack correctly so there was a little gap)

Apr 30, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #2 of 30
Is the solder look cloudy as in the pictures also in person?  I would just heat up the solder, wires, and metal pins a bit longer till you get a shiny look.  This way you can avoid a cold solder joint or any other issues that might happen.

By the way how's the fit if you just used the outside washer to secure the 3.5mm jack without glue?

Apr 30, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #3 of 30
  Is the solder look cloudy as in the pictures also in person?  I would just heat up the solder, wires, and metal pins a bit longer till you get a shiny look.  This way you can avoid a cold solder joint or any other issues that might happen.

The solder doesn't look as cloudy but I might need to resolder them after getting some flux in order to secure more the solder.

By the way how's the fit if you just used the outside washer to secure the 3.5mm jack without glue?

The audio jack fit well with the washer to secure it. I use pliers in order to be able to fully have it fit tight. The hot glue was used to be sure that there will any movement from it.

May 1, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #4 of 30
Now Im thinking of doing this instead of re-terminating like I did with my HD555.  They come with the large 1/4 plug on them too dont they?

May 1, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #5 of 30
Hm.. This looks way easier than I first imagined:D does it change the sound in any way? If not, I'll most likely do this mod, considering I'm planning to use them outside my home as well

May 1, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #7 of 30
Hm.. This looks way easier than I first imagined:D does it change the sound in any way? If not, I'll most likely do this mod, considering I'm planning to use them outside my home as well

I didn't notice any change in the sound.

May 1, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #8 of 30
Neat guide, think I may actually do this since it's not as intimidating as I had assumed.  Do you think something like this would work as a jack, or is it best to just stick to the one you used since we know it'll fit?  The square shape seems like it might be iffy, but it's a fair amount cheaper than the jack you used (after shipping).

May 1, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #10 of 30
Neat guide, think I may actually do this since it's not as intimidating as I had assumed.  Do you think something like this would work as a jack, or is it best to just stick to the one you used since we know it'll fit?  The square shape seems like it might be iffy, but it's a fair amount cheaper than the jack you used (after shipping).

It would fit but I heard that the 3 connectors are more fragile on these. And I think that the tread might be a tad short but you will still be able to fit these.

Did you made a custom cable or the original?

I just use a shorter and thinner cable afterward. (but you can if you want)

May 8, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #13 of 30
For everyone who will do this mod and are also looking for an hardshell case, these apparently will do the job (a K545 is able to fit tight in it) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009YONZEG/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I bought one and will confirm if the cans fit in.

May 11, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #14 of 30
Did this mod and it turned out well.  Had some difficulty soldering since I suck at it, but in general it took far less time and effort I assumed a mod like this would take.  Guess it helps there's a conveniently sized jack that can just be screwed into place.  Thanks for the guide, had the stock cable braided to cut down on length but it was really ugly and not that wieldy due to the thickness.

May 11, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #15 of 30
While looking for reviews on the sound of the K553 w/ HM5 pads, I found a post on Reddit which depicts also a how-to on the K553 (but this one was created before mine). So here are the links for anyone interested to see a second way to do the mod (there is however not a lot of differences, I keep the original 3 cables while him desolder them and use 3 others, might be usefull for having more angles for anyone who want more information before doing this mod).
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/337ixd/akg_k553_removable_35mm_cable_mod/
https://imgur.com/a/rbsG1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back