How the heck do you begin a divorce?
May 21, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #46 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd imagine being found in bed with another woman would get the ball rolling.......

X2, yup, then I'm sure that your "friends wife" will take care of the rest

"Sit back relax and enjoy the ride"

May 21, 2007 at 9:25 AM Post #47 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by will75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, no offense to the poster you are referring to, but that was funny!
icon10.gif

Probably just didn't notice the date on it, it's happened to me, so I've failed at the internet many times.
biggrin.gif

May 21, 2007 at 10:31 AM Post #48 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by USER NAME: /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look at where your fiancee came from before you get married. If she comes from a divorced family, has a sister who is working on her second divorce and has a best friend who's mom says "I'm a firm believer in divorce, you start out with nothing and end up with half of everything. You can do this 5 times before you die" your chances of having a successful marriage is not promising.

Here's a better idea: don't marry. It boggles the mind that so many people somehow think marriage is a great idea...

By the way, I'd go the lawyer way too.

May 21, 2007 at 12:03 PM Post #49 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fallingwater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a better idea: don't marry. It boggles the mind that so many people somehow think marriage is a great idea...

By the way, I'd go the lawyer way too.

You mean you know about everyone's marriage, and have judged them all as not good ideas??

Thanks for letting me know, I wasn't aware. Better go tell the hubby we made an awful mistake.
plainface.gif

May 21, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #50 of 66
My parents got divorced last year after 20+ years of marriage
and this turned me off of marriage. I become very cynical
and pessimistic towards marriage and relationships in general.
I wonder how do I get out of this negative mindset?

The other day I watched a talk show about divorce and it's
astounding the amount of vitriol hurled at ex spouses.
Few years back they were teary eyed lovey dovey couples
walking down the aisle vowing to God to love each other
until death do them apart.

Reality is when you meet a better one, people will upgrade,
just like headphones.

May 21, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #51 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You opened a thread that was over a year old for that?? You fail at the internet.

lol.

I gotta admit: I'm incredibly curious as to why anyone on any site would bump a thread thats over a year old (top it all off, the OP is long gone from being an active member).

May 21, 2007 at 4:58 PM Post #52 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by afton /img/forum/go_quote.gif

just like headphones.

One of the better ways is not to seek out additional misery, which is no company. Graveyard bumping every divorce topic in the history of Head-fi isn't going to help - you seek commiseration from ghosts with that approach.

May 21, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #53 of 66
Quote:

Reality is when you meet a better one, people will upgrade, just like headphones.

This kind of mentality doesn't work with human beings. Change this outlook or remain alone. End of story.

May 21, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #54 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(top it all off, the OP is long gone from being an active member).

And the OP is a lowlife at that, he scammed more than one member before he left (not me).

May 21, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #55 of 66
That's tough, and you must be hurting right now. You've just got to work through the grief and forgive your parents... and also remember that your parents love you, raised you, tried their best to impart their values on you, however - you are still not the sum of your parents. You are you, not them. You control your own destiny by your own choices. It would be a shame if you let your parents control when, if, and who you marry. Don't give them that much power.

Quote:

just like headphones.

May 22, 2007 at 4:28 AM Post #57 of 66
My mother has been divorced 5 or 6 times and has been for at least the last 10 years, my natural father was married/divorced i think 4 times and is dead, my stepfather is still married to his 2nd wife (who is not my mother). I will be married 31 years on june 15th, 2007.

Plainsong is right, you are not the sum of your parents.

May 23, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #58 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean you know about everyone's marriage, and have judged them all as not good ideas?

I have seen a lot of married and ex-married people, and judging by what I've seen of their situations I've come to the conclusion that the odds of the marriage not working and pitching you into a black hole of unhappiness and/or legal trouble are way too high for my tastes.
I have also tried to think about what the benefits could there be (for someone who does not believe in the sanctity of marriage), and I've come up empty.
It just amazes me that calling your significant other "wife" or "husband" and having a paper that says you'll love each other forever blah blah, signifies so much to so many people.

Quote:

Thanks for letting me know, I wasn't aware. Better go tell the hubby we made an awful mistake

You can never tell you DIDN'T make a mistake until you become aware of it. It can happen a month after you get married, it can happen after ten years, it can happen when you're sixty. So far as I've seen, it happens in most cases. The couple might still keep being together, mind you, but passion and love often become pathetic watered-down versions of the concepts they once were.

May 23, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #60 of 66
If you don't see the benefits of being in a commited relationship, commited to the point where the "piece of paper" no longer represents everything that is unholy and evil in the world, then you don't know the answers to your own questions.

I hope you don't throw happiness away based on some belief that you've constrained yourself to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fallingwater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have seen a lot of married and ex-married people, and judging by what I've seen of their situations I've come to the conclusion that the odds of the marriage not working and pitching you into a black hole of unhappiness and/or legal trouble are way too high for my tastes.
I have also tried to think about what the benefits could there be (for someone who does not believe in the sanctity of marriage), and I've come up empty.
It just amazes me that calling your significant other "wife" or "husband" and having a paper that says you'll love each other forever blah blah, signifies so much to so many people.

You can never tell you DIDN'T make a mistake until you become aware of it. It can happen a month after you get married, it can happen after ten years, it can happen when you're sixty. So far as I've seen, it happens in most cases. The couple might still keep being together, mind you, but passion and love often become pathetic watered-down versions of the concepts they once were.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back