How the heck do you begin a divorce?
Jan 28, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #16 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
I'd imagine being found in bed with another woman would get the ball rolling.......

Damn, you beat me to it
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2006 at 10:57 PM Post #17 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
it sounds like Irreconcilable Differences to me. should get an even split, and the hands shall be washed. get thine friend to a lawyer, post haste.

You know what blows is that he had everything before the marriage, cars furniture, life savings/investments, AV gear, and she didn't have anything (not even a car or single piece of furniture). They have only been married for like two years and now she gets half of everything? On top of that, he's probably going to have to pay some sort of custodial payments. What a crock of sh--

Jan 28, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #18 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
The first person that your "friend" needs to speak to is his or her spouse. Sometimes merely letting the other party know exactly how far gone things are can prompt major behavior changes on the part of the other party. Of course, your "friend" needs to be prepared to respond in kind.

Since the begining of the mariage, divorce was a common threat. The word may have lost it's meaning by now. It is probably talked about daily. That's why I think the only way to get the message across is to move out. She would probably love it though. He would hate it. His battles with his wife have caused him to lose his better paying job which will make the whole move difficult financially. You need to keep your personal life personal and leave your dirt at home.

I have a relative who's falling apart as well. His wife left him and want's a divorce. We think she might be a lesbian, but won't admit it. I feel really bad because this is the nicest man in the world and doesn't deserve to sit at home all day and fall apart emotionally.

ADVICE from here down!!

Look at where your fiancee came from before you get married. If she comes from a divorced family, has a sister who is working on her second divorce and has a best friend who's mom says "I'm a firm believer in divorce, you start out with nothing and end up with half of everything. You can do this 5 times before you die" your chances of having a successful marriage is not promising.

Jan 28, 2006 at 11:17 PM Post #19 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by USER NAME:
You know what blows is that he had everything before the marriage, cars furniture, life savings/investments, AV gear, and she didn't have anything (not even a car or single piece of furniture). They have only been married for like two years and now she gets half of everything? On top of that, he's probably going to have to pay some sort of custodial payments. What a crock of sh--

One more reason I will never get married or have kids. People can tell me all they want that it can be the greatest experience but the fact is I see it as a prison. I'm all for love but marriage is just not me. I like to have options in my life and if I chose that one all my options are gone.

BTW see a lawyer and don't let that wife get an upper hand. If she's as sinical as you make her out to be she might get things she doesn't deserve. From what I see I dont think she deserves anything.

Jan 28, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #20 of 66
Quote:

OK, I'm divorced (and happily re-married), so i know a thing or two....

Given how hostile things seem, I defintitley agree with a legal consultation. That just helps you understand your rights and options.

I will throw out the idea of annulment. For couples with no kids, not married long, not to many shared assests, it is a way to dissolve things, with both sides "saving face".

Jan 29, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #21 of 66
My wife and I are currently in the process of getting a divorce, we are doing a "Summary Dissolution" since we don't have kids, and we don't really own anything. That and we agree on what we expect out of it. (ie, she gets the newer car, I get the tv, 360, stereo, blah blah blah)

I wish we were able to work it out, but life is not always perfect.

Jan 29, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #22 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject
My wife and I are currently in the process of getting a divorce, we are doing a "Summary Dissolution" since we don't have kids, and we don't really own anything. That and we agree on what we expect out of it. (ie, she gets the newer car, I get the tv, 360, stereo, blah blah blah)

Sorry to hear that Aurora, hope you get through this ok.

Jan 29, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #23 of 66
Quote:

This is not 100% true, it really depends on the state. A lot of time what was brought into the marriage is not available for the spouse to simply take or get half of. This is why a good divorce lawyer is needed.

-Alex

Jan 29, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #27 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject

Sorry about your situation, but it does sound like (so far) that you are working it out fairly amicably......

Jan 29, 2006 at 4:33 AM Post #28 of 66
Time to call Santino and Guido.
eek.gif

Jan 29, 2006 at 9:02 AM Post #29 of 66
Men are analytical in our way of thinking whereas women are based on emotions.If she is bi-polar she will never be civil(The phrase "Something Wicked This Way Comes" lingers). Just as everyone else has stipulated, he needs to get his belongings in a storage and immediately contact a lawyer !

Whether she's right or wrong,the first thing that pops in a females brain is: "I've been betrayed by him" ,therefore,she will have no compunction ruining his life and future assets.

He needs to contact a lawyer asap ! I'm sorry if my opinion seems crude---been there done that back in 1990.

Jan 29, 2006 at 9:10 AM Post #30 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
absolutely talk to the spouse first. don't worry, if they take that as a sign to dump all the cash our of your joint account and run for the hills before you go to your lawyer, that just usually strengthens your case and you end up owning the house.

This is bad advice (and I'm kind of surprised to hear it coming from a lawyer). Spouses do sometimes start disposing of your assets in anger, and you need to prevent that from happening, not just let it happen and say you'll deal with it later. Much of the time these assets simply can't be recovered or properly quantified, and you can't count on 100% of their value being applied towards your claim to the house or whatever assets are left. The same thing happens frequently with estates.

Your friend needs to talk to a lawyer first, especially if his spouse is bipolar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back