How should I understand this issue of more sound coming from one side in a new headphone?
Oct 10, 2019 at 3:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

shrewdgamer

Head-Fier
I have a new headphone, at least it appears to be new. It was one of highly rated headphones on Rtings.com for critical listening. I can notice small scratches on the sides of the headphones. These scratches were there from the time I took them out of the box. I don't think it'll effect the sound quality.

So in this new headphone, the stereo sound seems to be right-weighted(if that makes sense), slightly more sound comes out of right side than left side. I immediately switched to my old Chi-Fi headset and in that stereo sound seems to be equal in both sides.

How do I make sense of this unequal sound in a new headphone? Should I understand that it is defective? Or that it is more flat than my old headphone as this new one is one of the highly rated headphones on rtings.com? Will a flat headphone really make one side sound louder than the other side if that is how the audio is encoded? I heard few songs on YouTube and the new one doesn't seem to reveal any more detail than my old Chi-Fi headset.

I tested on audiocheck.net and the new one doesn't sound any better than my old Chi-Fi headset.

Mar 5, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #2 of 2
So, some manufacturers dont match the drivers super well all the time especially on lower end headphones. Ive tried a pair of Sennheiser gaming headphones and one side was very distinctly louder than the other. Just make sure your cables are all plugged in completely and if the issue persists its most certainly an issue with the headphones. You can equalize the left right output in windows by just going into sound setting and changing left and right channel until it sounds even. Or return them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back