How should I transfer vinyl music to iTunes?
Aug 19, 2017 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Double-A

Formerly known as KingOfTheWild.
Hello, I am thinking about possibly purchasing a turntable so that I can start buying records to transfer to iTunes as digital files because I prefer the warmth of vinyl over digital music. Also, I like the pops in vinyl; I think it adds character to the music. I don't think I would use the turntable to play music because I like being able to shuffle my songs, which you obviously can't do with a turntable. However, my girlfriend might use it from time to time because she said she likes listening to vinyl. She isn't an audiophile though. Should I buy a USB turntable or go about it a different way? Thank you.

Aug 21, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #2 of 21
A USB turntable is the easiest way. However, the sound quality of your rip will be limited to the quality of your analog system. (Really nice analog systems are very expensive.)

Aug 21, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #3 of 21
Based on what I've seen other users say here on this site in the past, USB turntables aren't of the highest quality? If a USB turntable is my best option, then what would be a good product? I was perusing Sonos' website (I'm just starting to have an interest in the speaker side of audio and am just sticking with popular consumer hi-fi products for now rather than more esoteric, audiophile speakers) and saw that they sell the Pro-Ject "Essential II Phono USB" through their website. I went to Pro-Ject's website and clicked on the link to the Essential line of turntables, but did not see the Essential II line, only the Essential III line.

Would the Pro-Ject Essential III RecordMaster (for example) be a good product? Or even the product from the Essential II line that is sold on Sonos' website?

Aug 22, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #4 of 21
Based on what I've seen other users say here on this site in the past, USB turntables aren't of the highest quality?

The highest quality turntables cost six figures, so that's not something to concern yourself with.

If a USB turntable is my best option, then what would be a good product?

Although I have a not-so-large vinyl collection, I am not very knowledgeable about turntables, so I can't help ya there. But here's one comparison:

http://www.toptenreviews.com/electronics/home-entertainment/best-vinyl-converter-turntables/

(I'm just starting to have an interest in the speaker side of audio and am just sticking with popular consumer hi-fi products for now rather than more esoteric, audiophile speakers)

Which speakers are you looking at? I have the Klipsch RP-250F and JBL LSR305 and love both. (But am selling the latter.)

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #7 of 21
Try looking online for needle-drop music. It is transferred from vinyl. It sounds great with many headphone systems that would otherwise sound shrill or fatiguing.

Aug 26, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #8 of 21
It is going to sound like it came off of low quality USB turntable and then be stored and played digitally through iTunes. You will be getting all the shortcomings of poor analog quality while it still sounds digital. Just listen to records or buy flac files

Aug 27, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #10 of 21
No, needle drops are great-sounding (to my surprise). I wouldn't have believed it until I listened to many of them. Somehow, lots of musical detail and a great sense of flow comes through. It's uncanny. It doesn't make sense I guess, but it works.

They remove the digital glare but preserve a lot of impact and detail. They are a Godsend of many digital recordings that are fatiguing.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #12 of 21
Thank you for your suggestions everyone.

Why would you go to ITunes? I didn't see a justification for that. It's a limiting format, and as my wife can tell you it's beset by bugs that causes her to have to re-record or re-load songs that Apple lost.

Sep 16, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #13 of 21
Why would you go to ITunes?
I have a subscription to Apple Music and want all of my music in one place.

It's a limiting format
What is? The format that you buy music from iTunes in? You may be forced to buy music from iTunes in lossy AAC (but perhaps not for much longer, Apple recently added FLAC playback support to some of its newer devices, which makes me wonder if soon we will have the option to buy songs from iTunes in a higher quality codec), but if you add lossless music that you purchased elsewhere to iTunes, you're not forced to compress the files.

and as my wife can tell you it's beset by bugs that causes her to have to re-record or re-load songs that Apple lost
I don't have any issues with it.

Sep 16, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #14 of 21
I have a subscription to Apple Music and want all of my music in one place.

What is? The format that you buy music from iTunes in? You may be forced to buy music from iTunes in lossy AAC (but perhaps not for much longer, Apple recently added FLAC playback support to some of its newer devices, which makes me wonder if soon we will have the option to buy songs from iTunes in a higher quality codec), but if you add lossless music that you purchased elsewhere to iTunes, you're not forced to compress the files.

I don't have any issues with it.

That's good. Sorry to have wasted your time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back