How "Senn house sound" are the HD201s?
Jun 9, 2005 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Kameleon

500+ Head-Fier
Mine should arrive tomorrow. They're my first foray into Sennheisers, apart from a PC130 headset a while back that sounded abysmal (worse than a $4 clone I'd bought in the States) and seriously put me off Senns - I'm getting these because I want to have another go, and cos they're such a bargain
wink.gif

So how much like the sound of the upper end Sennys are they? Obviously they're gonna be significantly lower-fi than an HD580/6x0, but is the frequency response and general sound similar, or is it not even close?

Cheers

Jun 9, 2005 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 8
theyre closed budget cans, so the signiture is probably quite different.

Jun 10, 2005 at 4:44 PM Post #4 of 8
Sennheiser has a couple of different house sounds - the "warm" sound and the "forward" sound. The warm sound is reflected in the HD580-650 and can also be found in the PX100, among many others. The "forward" sound is more common in their closed phones, but may (haven't heard them yet) be found in the HD555 and HD595. The HD201 reminds me a lot of a less-refined PX200, but with added bass and brightness.

Jun 10, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #5 of 8
I own the both the 201's and the PX 200's. I think the 201's are more balanced then the PX 200's, not more bass. Although I am pretty new to all of this though, and so are my 201's. Maybe they need more burn in? I cant comment on the other sound relative to the higher end Senns bc I've never heard them.

Jun 11, 2005 at 4:02 AM Post #6 of 8
The 201s are very balanced for their price, no doubt about that. I'm working on a comparison between these two (and a bunch of others) and will go into a lot more detail then. For now I'll just say that a lot of people are going to like the HD201.

Jun 11, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #7 of 8
First impressions are that it's...boring. Technically I'd say flat, which I suppose is what some people want, but it's not for me. Maybe it'll liven up and the bass/lower midrange will come in after some more burning in. Clarity is good though, a lot better than I would've expected from such cheap cans. My other issue with them is comfort - I wear glasses, and so the pleather earcups make this awful scritching noise when they move against the frames, worse than any other headphone material I've worn. Give me Beyer velour, Grado foam or just about any other type of pleather any day, these seem to be made from some kind of extra-noise stuff that just squeaks when you touch it.

But after all that, it's still very good for the price. This is the kicker, for such peanuts you really can't lose, and the sound is good enough for it to make up for the other shortcomings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back