how punchy of bass would i get if i played a rap song on a PCDP with MegaBass on high
Jun 12, 2004 at 3:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

puppet

100+ Head-Fier
if i put in some rap song with alot of bass in some PCDP with the MegaBass on all the way up while using some senn px100`s or shure E2c`s, will my phones be punching like crazy.

Jun 12, 2004 at 3:38 PM Post #2 of 11
IMO it really depends on the PCDP. Most bass boost options I've tried have been pretty bad and made the overall sound muddy and the bass boomy. However, on my Denon, I only listen to it with Treble and Bass boost. What PCDP are you talking about? It varies from player to player although the reputation of bass boost in general here in rather low.

Jun 12, 2004 at 3:54 PM Post #3 of 11
i have no idea what player i`m talking about i just want the player with the booomiest bass, i dont care about anything else.

I have a d-ne300 but the bass is non existent. I just need an old pcdc i can get off ebay that only concentrates on really boomy bass.

I dont care about distortion much.

What player do you reccomend. and if it can play mp3`s that would be great but not a requiremnt.

Jun 12, 2004 at 8:17 PM Post #6 of 11
From my experience, my DCP-150 has the punchiest bass of the PCDPs I've heard (D-465, D-FJ61, various other cheap ones), but good luck finding one. Mega Bass is a name Sony gives to Bass Boost, btw.

Jun 14, 2004 at 4:23 PM Post #9 of 11
You shouldn't even use rap songs, just use a frequency tone or SPL cds...

Go look up SPL cds and you'll find nothing but bass... Why even bother with horrible mid and high if you're gonna end up listening to snap crackle n pops?

If you really want bass, get a boombox and go old school, works better than a discman / headphone combo IMO... Or at least better than the direction you're heading to...

Jun 14, 2004 at 6:00 PM Post #10 of 11
punchy bass is very different from the direction you're trying to get to. what you are describing is super flappy and bloated and boomy bass that take over the whole frequency range and destroy all the details.

you should just try some headphones with a different sound signature and get use their sound, preferably oneswith nicer high end and clarity. after that you will realise that the px100 and e2c both originally have a good amount of bass to start with. no need for bass boost.

as for punchy bass, this is actaully a very crave for feature that i seen few in headphones that cost below $100. punchy bass is never overwhelming, it is very tight and controlled. you can hear it and discern it from other instruments. futhermore its response speed is quicker than that of bloated and boomy bass. atleast this is what punchy bass in my opinion.

right now i'm thinking grado, but they actaully have more bass than i wanted. most people like more bass quantity than i do. i find myself enjoying the bass that come from the k501 and eggo (aka very little amount of).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back