How portable is portable?
Dec 27, 2013 at 1:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

tninety

Head-Fier
I'm looking through the "pictures of your portable rig" thread and some peoples' setups are tremendously bulky. I mean at some point you might as well just bring a laptop with a desktop DAC!

For you guys with portable setups, how portable is portable? Where do you keep your music player of choice? In your pocket, a bag, etc. 

Dec 27, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #5 of 16
Believe it or not none of my main gear leaves the house, I'll only take a Sansa Clip+ outdoors with one $100 IEM. Everything else is well 'portable' but very much does so around the house. Never taken my Studio V outside, nor my $650 hybrids. I don't want to risk breaking them or losing them. I couldn't imagine lugging an amp around with me, unless of course going to a park or a pub table, that I can understand, but not walking around the streets.  

Dec 27, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #6 of 16
Believe it or not none of my main gear leaves the house, I'll only take a Sansa Clip+ outdoors with one $100 IEM. Everything else is well 'portable' but very much does so around the house. Never taken my Studio V outside, nor my $650 hybrids. I don't want to risk breaking them or losing them. I couldn't imagine lugging an amp around with me, unless of course going to a park or a pub table, that I can understand, but not walking around the streets.  
That's because you like money more than music H20 :wink:

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #7 of 16
Portable for me implies convenience. Double and triple stacks aren't convenient. If I have to make special arrangements or wardrobe choices for my portable music, then I need to re-evaluate! For me it's one DAP with one IEM also. The only time an amp gets to make the trip is if the IEMs absolutely need it, or if I'm headed for a long road trip or plane ride.

Dec 28, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #8 of 16
This is going to be a tough question to get a straight answer to, isn't it?  The definition of "portable" could be is just about as subjective as "sound quality."  For me, portable is DAP-AMP-IEM's.  Mostly for travel situations...waiting in airports (lots of time spent doing that), sitting on planes, driving (LOD to car receiver), walking the dog, reading while the wife is watching the tube.  So, I don't feel it is necessary for my rig to fit into my pocket, only into my back pack or brief case.  Your definition of portable will depend on where and when you want to use your rig, and how you plan to stow it.

Dec 29, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #10 of 16
One PMP + one IEM

I don't need y entire sound system when I'm on the go (unless it's a shoot them my editing equipment in in the bag but that for THAT, not the commute :p )

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #11 of 16
Smartphone/tablet+decent IEM that works well enough with it. I always have some kind of messenger bag with me that can fit a dedicated player, the problem is I can't figure out how to carry my bags without it tugging on the IEM cable when I'm on the move, so unless what I'm using is a transportable that I'd use on a plane/train or when I get to my hotel, I'd rather just use my phone.

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #12 of 16
Just my RE-600s wound in a Nest case take up too much space in my bag! Nothing beyond my phone comes with me as far as powering, storing, playing back, amping, etc. is concerned. I just can't bring myself to lug around anything that could be called a 'rig.' 

Dec 30, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #13 of 16
I used to have a special bag made by Headroom which held a 5g iMod, a capacitor block and a Graham Slee Voyager and I called that portable and took it pretty much everywhere including nights out at the pub, but I'd never do it now.  It even went on a plane without issue despite having a red LOD looping in and out of the bottom of the bag as low profile LODs hadn't been invented
biggrin.gif

I've taken my PB2 out with my Tera a couple of times recently and found that the only convenient place to stash it without having a dedicated bag was in my coat sleeve, but generally I just have the Tera in my shirt pocket and my Tzars with a 2" cable unless I'm going somewhere where I need to pocket the IEMs in which case I take a thinner cable that coils more comfortably into a UE tin.

Portable to me means "small enough to take anywhere anytime" but with age what that actually means has changed significantly.

Jan 2, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #15 of 16
  I'm looking through the "pictures of your portable rig" thread and some peoples' setups are tremendously bulky. I mean at some point you might as well just bring a laptop with a desktop DAC!

For you guys with portable setups, how portable is portable? Where do you keep your music player of choice? In your pocket, a bag, etc. 

DX-100 and Sig Pro, gave up with IEMs for personal ear reasons. The sig pros fold down well enough for travel and the DX-100 is ok for size for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back