How on earth did this happen?
Mar 28, 2006 at 5:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Mercuttio

Key Conspirator in the Quest to Murder Music
The first time I heard a pair of SA5000, I hated them. Pulled them off my ears right away and said "That's not how I want my music to sound."

A little while later, I got CPads for my MS2i. A not-so-subtle change in sound occured there, and I think somehow it changed my actual listening preferences. My HD650 ended up sharing a lot of time with the CPadded MS2i because I started becoming very interested in a brighter, faster performance to compliment the dark bassy 650.

So, fast forward a month or so to Saturday night, when I heard jjcha's SA5K again. Oddly, I didn't hate them anymore. In fact, of all the headphones there (and jjcha's literally a freaking LIBRARY of headphones) they ended up on my head over and over again. The nice guy he is, he let me borrow his pair.

While they are indeed somewhat fatiguing (sp?) they really haven't left my head that often. I cannot get over how dynamic and graceful they can be. At times, they simply vanish all-together, leaving just this quick airy sound that seems to just float near my head. I can't describe it. Swapping back to the Grados, I can find more of a warm tasty midrange, but the higher end of the SA5K and accurate mids somehow trump this. I don't know how or why. Vocalists, in particular females, are heart-breakingly beautiful sounding.

Most of all, Piano music is stunning. I've listened to all of my piano music several times over. It is absolutely perfect. If I somehow forgot I had headphones on and had my eyes closed, I'd think there was a piano in the room.

Oddly, I don't find them unpleasant out of my 5G iPod, unamped. Certainly nothing NEAR what they do out of a proper amp, but actually fairly listenable. Hearing differences in source / amp is unbelievably easy with the SA5K. They're quite senitive.

One thing I hate though: the cable. Every single time it brushes on something, SUCH a racket.

I just don't understand how this happened. I could actually see the SA5K sharing equal ear-time with my HD650... how's that for yin and yang headphones?

Mar 28, 2006 at 5:37 AM Post #3 of 23
^ *gasps* NOT THE K1000!!!

lol jkjk. I heard a few around here who do not like the K1000, which to some is like insulting a God. Go figure, eh?
rolleyes.gif

Mar 28, 2006 at 6:02 AM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
At that time, i disliked the hd650, DT880, sa5k and K1000.

Well that rules out much of the headphone world
tongue.gif
What were you left with?

Cpads are funny. Look what happened to Jahn's tastes
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
The first time I heard a pair of SA5000, I hated them. Pulled them off my ears right away and said "That's not how I want my music to sound."

A little while later, I got CPads for my MS2i. A not-so-subtle change in sound occured there, and I think somehow it changed my actual listening preferences. My HD650 ended up sharing a lot of time with the CPadded MS2i because I started becoming very interested in a brighter, faster performance to compliment the dark bassy 650.

So, fast forward a month or so to Saturday night, when I heard jjcha's SA5K again. Oddly, I didn't hate them anymore. In fact, of all the headphones there (and jjcha's literally a freaking LIBRARY of headphones) they ended up on my head over and over again. The nice guy he is, he let me borrow his pair.

While they are indeed somewhat fatiguing (sp?) they really haven't left my head that often. I cannot get over how dynamic and graceful they can be. At times, they simply vanish all-together, leaving just this quick airy sound that seems to just float near my head. I can't describe it. Swapping back to the Grados, I can find more of a warm tasty midrange, but the higher end of the SA5K and accurate mids somehow trump this. I don't know how or why. Vocalists, in particular females, are heart-breakingly beautiful sounding.

Most of all, Piano music is stunning. I've listened to all of my piano music several times over. It is absolutely perfect. If I somehow forgot I had headphones on and had my eyes closed, I'd think there was a piano in the room.

Oddly, I don't find them unpleasant out of my 5G iPod, unamped. Certainly nothing NEAR what they do out of a proper amp, but actually fairly listenable. Hearing differences in source / amp is unbelievably easy with the SA5K. They're quite senitive.

One thing I hate though: the cable. Every single time it brushes on something, SUCH a racket.

I just don't understand how this happened. I could actually see the SA5K sharing equal ear-time with my HD650... how's that for yin and yang headphones?

sonically thte SA5k is closer to the MS2 than the HD650.

You might also want to try the DT880 Its als oa very fast/snappy, detail monster.

Garrett

Mar 28, 2006 at 7:26 AM Post #8 of 23
Good. It's always good to open your mind. If the mids of the SA-5000 are accurate then where does it leave the mids of the MS2i? Colored? Sometimes I feel that seeking accuracy over comforting coloration is almost like an audiophile coming of age. Not that there isn't a time and place for euphony sometimes.
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2006 at 10:39 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
Oddly, I don't find them unpleasant out of my 5G iPod, unamped. Certainly nothing NEAR what they do out of a proper amp, but actually fairly listenable.

You gotta try the K701 straight out of the ipod combo and compare.
I'm telling you, lots of phones sound great without an Amp.
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2006 at 12:54 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
sonically thte SA5k is closer to the MS2 than the HD650.

You might also want to try the DT880 Its als oa very fast/snappy, detail monster.

Garrett

The DT880 always lacked that snappy punch to me. I had a pair for a long time... they were sort of distant for a brighter can.

Mar 28, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeeeMeS
biggrin.gif

So true.
Heck, the K501 sounded great out of my Zen Micro, and even better amped with my CMoy.

Mar 28, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Well that rules out much of the headphone world
tongue.gif
What were you left with?

Cpads are funny. Look what happened to Jahn's tastes
biggrin.gif

Then ( and now ) I like the HD595, RS-1, RS-2, Ksc35/75, PX100...i guess i just like headphones with a more forward presentation. I'll try again...see if my preferences has changed much.

sa5k - seemed to lack warmth
hd650 and dt880 - seemed to be sluggish
k1000 - a little harsh with treble

That was my brief impression. I've never condemned them, just thought they didn't suit me. I hope i'm wrong about them and i hope i can get a second listen at the NY meet.

Mar 28, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by sxr71
Good. It's always good to open your mind. If the mids of the SA-5000 are accurate then where does it leave the mids of the MS2i? Colored? Sometimes I feel that seeking accuracy over comforting coloration is almost like an audiophile coming of age. Not that there isn't a time and place for euphony sometimes.
biggrin.gif

Well, I think we tend to call anything warm "colored" and anything cold "accurate." It's just another form of coloration to me, I'm not sure there is a specific "right" to my music.

Or, I could be totally wrong and these are just the most "uncolored" headphones I've heard so far.

Mar 28, 2006 at 2:49 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeeeMeS
biggrin.gif

Serious?

I have a 2GB iPod Nano.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back