How old is too old for trick or treat?
Oct 30, 2008 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Seaside

500+ Head-Fier
Kind of odd question though, I want to know how old is too old for that.

Last year, and the year before last year. I saw bunch of guys (yeah, not kids) were knocking my door "demanding" (not asking) treat. Gosh, They were bigger than me and some of them had mustache arround their neck looked like a bunch of druggies rather than kids. Hell, no. I am not gonna give any candy to those who said to me like "Yo! gimme some shiats"

The other incredible thing is... a friend of mine said he saw a young lady and kid when he opened his door. He knew immediately the young lady is teenage mom, and she got angry when he gave candy to her little kid, but not to her.

I heard Illinoise has a law that charging parents $25 when they sent their kids older than 8th grade for trick or treat. Virginia needs that kind of law too, i think.

Oct 30, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #2 of 35
I haven't heard of any laws, but I think 8th grade was the last time I went. That was... oh, was it really 23 years ago?
eek.gif
Anyhow, 9th grade was freshman year in high school and I remember going to a party with friends then and pretty much every year since. But not tomorrow; I think the agenda is for a family dinner and then following my niece and nephews around with the Nikon.

Though I might slip out later with some shaving cream, eggs and toilet paper.

Oct 30, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #4 of 35
I don't do Halloween, but if you have to think about it, you're too old. It seems some people never wonder or ask the question.
frown.gif

Oct 30, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 35
I went for myself until I was maybe 13-14 but I took my little brother trick or treating until I was 17 so he would have somebody watching out for him and his friends

Oct 30, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #7 of 35
I think the last time i went, my friends and i were mostly about 15.

We dressed as monks. And we chanted for people. And requested ingredients for soup. Which we later prepared and ate. About six of us.

The ones that don't bother putting on a costume haven't kept up their side of the social contract of halloween, so, they get no candy.

Oct 30, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #9 of 35
I'm a sophomore in college, and there are a bunch of kids talking about what they are going to wear for Halloween- some of them are even juniors (and maybe seniors).

I personally think sometime in high school should be the cut off- and that is still pushing it a little.

Also, when I lived at home, I would do the candy at night, and that is when the older kids seem to come out and "trick-or-treat".

Oct 30, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #10 of 35
My complaint is actually that it's all over by the time i get home from work these days.

there's no sense in me buying any candy because the way people herd their children around here these days, they've already gone home and changed out of their costumes before the street lights even come on.

if i have kids some day, i won't stand for that. Once a year, in at least the sleepy suburb i live in, kids over 5 should be able to dress up and demand candy in the dark without direct adult supervision. I did it when i was a kid, and i want my kids to do it.

there has never been a single documented case of a trick-or-treat poisoning, or a needle or razor blade in fruit, or any of that stuff. It's all rumor and hysteria.

There have, however, been a few cases of kids getting poisoned or hurt at halloween parties - mostly by their own parents, always by someone the family knew and trusted.

Random people in the neighborhood aren't out to get your kid. They never were.

Oct 30, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #11 of 35
I went out as a senior in highschool. I didn't go to a lot of houses it was just an excuse to go out with my friends. No one in my neighborhood minded that we were out since we were polite and dressed up.

Oct 30, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #13 of 35
Ha Ha Ha ... this thread reminded me of my Junior year in college. We took shot glasses and went door to door. We were sure polite and thankful. About half the homeowners were gracious and obliged. We never made it down both sides of the street. Now we did it in good fun and it was a creative way to get booze for free...but nothing more.

My kids all stopped when they hit Junior High School ... either 7th or 8th grade.

Oct 30, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The cutoff line is when parents start thinking you're a pedophile in disguise.

Then I just won't wear a costume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back