How old, and what year did you get into tubes?
Nov 3, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #46 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well...I'm unsure of the actual time line...things are fuzzy but I'm confident it was -2.5 days old when I saw my first fallopian tube
biggrin.gif

OK, in all seriousness.....1973 (11 years old then).....my Father and I built a little Heathkit EL84 integrated amp. That little amp sounded damn good. Wish I still had it.

Peete.

There was a HeathKit store not far from where I live. I built one of their digital clocks, and an ultrasonic cleaner sometime in the 70's. I think they closed their doors sometime in the 80's. What ever happened to these great electronic stores? Do you remember Lafayette Electronics? We had one of those also.

Nov 3, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #47 of 51
My first tube amp was a custom made SE 2A3 that was driving fulrange backoaded horns. It appeared in 2006 when I was 35.
266533.jpg

Later on when I upgraded my speaker rig source from Creek Destiny to Accuphase DP 75v it was replaced by a SE 300B amp.

http://images26.snimka.bg/005896986-big.jpg

Nov 3, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #48 of 51
My first stereo was a monster console thingy, circa 1964, that I got proper in 1970. Times were spent with my grandfather and his rig in the mid 60's, but, being blind, his listening skills were far beyond mine, and he had the eloquence of speech to describe to me what he heard.

About 1971 with my first Fender tube amp... one of these. The endless series of Fender, Marshall, Rickenbacker and Vox. Then, it was Mcintosh 240 (iirc)... then Millett (Hybrid, HA-1, HA-2, Max)... and now, it's in the sig.

Now, to dump a couple of those hard chased Mullard xf2 quads - after all, how many can you use / need?
angry_face.gif

Nov 3, 2008 at 7:56 PM Post #49 of 51
I just got into phones and tubes this year. I was 19, now 20. I have a little dot mk III, and I am at the moment trying to pick a diy that would be a significant upgrade from the LD. I think that it'd be a lot of fun to have an amp I built.

Nov 6, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #51 of 51
The first valve amp I bought was a Tripletone in about 1965 when I was in my teens, mono of course. In 1969 I bought a used Quad 22 / II system, and I still use the restored power amps with an Audio Research LS7 pre-amp and a pair of Quad ELS57s (naturally).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back