How old, and what year did you get into tubes?
Nov 2, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #16 of 51
I've heard tube gear since the day I was born (1958). My father had a tube table radio that he played daily to catch the morning news before work. My grandarents had a tube mono tv/phono console (I can remember listening to a lecture from my Aunt Jae on how the Monkees are the greatest pop group as she played an album for me). My other grandparents had a tube phonograph that played 78s and 45s. My grandmother didn't have any 33 1/3albums.

I bought a Dynaco ST70 and a Pas 3 when I was 33 years old (1992). I now have a Decware Zen amp (1998) and still have a Pas 3. I got a Dynaco FM3 when I was 38 (1996). My current stereo kits (work, home theatre, living room system, portable) are all solid state. I'm going to use my Set as a headphone amp at home.

I prefer tubes over solid state, but have made choices that place me solidly in solid state. McIntosh integrated at work, powered Quad speakers at home, home theatre receiver for 75 bucks used in excellent condition. So it goes.

I might use my Dynaco Pas 3 in my living room system (it was in my offiice until I sold my Adcom amp and bought the McIntosh integrated).

Cheers.

Nov 2, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #17 of 51
I was born in 1952 and now that I think about it, just about everything electronic had tubes. From my first record player which only played 45's in the mid 50's. I think it was an RCA Victrola made out of brown Bakelite, to our family TV. I remember it having a round picture tube, and what looked like 30 tubes. I also remember the TV repairman making frequent visits to our home to replace bad tubes.

Nov 2, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #18 of 51
I was 30 and bought a Conrad Johnson Premier 12. I thought I had reached the summit.

Nov 2, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #20 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Back in 1995, my mom bought me a guitar preamp that uses tubes (12AX7). I still use it today and it's excellent.

Very cool you still have it and it still works
smily_headphones1.gif

I had a Dyna MKIII 60 Watt mono block with a Pam 1 Mono preamp I used as a Bass Guitar amp back in the early 70's. I'm not sure what happened to it though. Coming from the Woodstock generation, there's much I cant remember if you know what I mean. LOL

I also owned this Ampeg SVT in the 70's as well. It used (6) 6550 output tubes and produced 300 watts RMS. It weighed 85 LBS.

SVT.jpg

Nov 2, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #21 of 51
My first piece of tube gear was a used Eico (mono!) FM tuner I got in 1978, when I was 12. Shortly thereafter I got an H.H. Scott tube integrated amp. Loved them. In 1983 I upgraded to Van Alstine modified Dyna PAS 3/Stereo 70. Had those all through college and until I got married. Then my wife made me get rid of the tube gear - she didn't like to have to wait for the stereo to "warm up" to use it. So was tubeless for about 10 years, until I discovered tube headphone amps
smily_headphones1.gif
Now I am back in big-time, baby!

Nov 2, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #23 of 51
The first tube equipment I built was in 1967 or 66. It was a receiver. My first project was in 1958, a crystal radio. I can still remember the excitement of attaching it to a water pipe to pick up radio stations. Then 4 years in the US Navy as a radioman from 68-72.

Great fun, great journey.

Nov 2, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #24 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by atbglenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very cool you still have it and it still works :)
I had a Dyna MKIII 60 Watt mono block with a Pam 1 Mono preamp I used as a Bass Guitar amp back in the early 70's. I'm not sure what happened to it though. Coming from the Woodstock generation, there's much I cant remember if you know what I mean. LOL

*Sigh* Damn hippies. Glad I missed that generation tbh.
The only good hippie is a...

Mr.T? :eek:

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Nov 2, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #25 of 51
2003, at age 15. Uncle gave me a Fisher 500-c receiver. Hooked. Got some beat up Criterion 3 ways and an old Technics TT and the rest is history! Have a refurbed 500-c, a few EL84 console amps, a lot of color and b&w tube TVs, a 6L6 guitar amp and my headphone amps.

Love this stuff!!!!

Nov 2, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #26 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*Sigh* Damn hippies. Glad I missed that generation tbh.
The only good hippie is a...

Mr.T?
eek.gif

Because we were so anti establishment in those days the cops used to say "Next time you need help, call a Hippie" LOL
I have to say, I'm extremely happy I grew up during those times. The music was so much better than today.

Nov 2, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #27 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The first tube equipment I built was in 1967 or 66. It was a receiver. My first project was in 1958, a crystal radio. I can still remember the excitement of attaching it to a water pipe to pick up radio stations. Then 4 years in the US Navy as a radioman from 68-72.

Great fun, great journey.

John,

My father bought me a crystal radio around the same time. I remember it coming with an earphone, and it didn't need power if I remember correctly.

Nov 2, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #28 of 51
That's right. All you needed was the earphone and the crystal vibrated, creating the sound. Now look at what we go through! :^)

Nov 2, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #29 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's right. All you needed was the earphone and the crystal vibrated, creating the sound. Now look at what we go through! :^)

It's pretty amazing, isn't it?

Nov 2, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #30 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by atbglenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In 1969 I built my first tube amp. It was a Dynakit Stereo 70 and a PAS 3X Preamp when I was 17 years old. My Speakers were AR 4X's and an AR Turntable with a Stanton Cartridge (Unknown model). I remember it sounding amazing at the time.

I'd love to know what you had, what year, how old you were if you don't mind.
smily_headphones1.gif

Your experience is very similar to mine. In 1968 (I was 20) I built a Dyna Stereo 35 and a PAS 3X. I also had AR4X speakers and an AR TT with a Shure cartridge. A few months later I sold the ST35 and built a Stereo 70 and a Dyna FM3 tuner. I still have everything, except of course, the ST35. Oh, and my Dad also helped me build a crystal radio in the 50s......
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back