How often....
Jul 7, 2002 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

JMT

JMT Audio:PPA/META42 Amp Factory
...do you treat the jacks and plugs on your source/amp/headphones with ProGold, DeOxit or any other kind of treatment?

Jul 7, 2002 at 3:04 AM Post #4 of 20
I've never used any cleaning agents on my jacks or plugs.

Jul 7, 2002 at 3:22 AM Post #5 of 20
Oooh you dirty girl !!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Peter.

Jul 7, 2002 at 3:45 AM Post #7 of 20
I treat the connections with DeOxit/ProGold (used to use Cramolin Red/Blue) whenever I get a new piece of equipment or cable. After that, it's on its own for a couple of years. I figure a good cleaning cycle every couple of years should be enough. The ProGold treatment is supposed to last that long, in theory...

Jul 7, 2002 at 6:18 AM Post #8 of 20
Nope, guilty as charged your honour... the only time I clean my plugs is when the sound goes intermittent (barely ever) and even then, only with white spirit...

Jul 7, 2002 at 6:30 AM Post #9 of 20
pro-gold is simply Q-contact cleaner.It is made in the same factory on the same line and sells for a third of the price.the can even looks the same except for the graphics.I do clean contacts frequently.It does not improve sound but does prevent poor contact and corrosion which can be a problem in my basement listening room.

Jul 7, 2002 at 10:23 AM Post #10 of 20
Am I supposed to do that???

Seriously, it would take 3 days just because of what I'd have to do to get at the main system. It's set up not to be altered for awhile. Office system gets rearranged every month or so, so I figure unplugging and replugging keeps stuff clean enough.

Jul 7, 2002 at 12:45 PM Post #11 of 20
I never have cleaned the contacts on my equipment. I always thought the purpose of gold was to prevent any corrosion. I put this in the change your oil every 3000 mile category. Not required except under extreme conditions.

Jul 10, 2002 at 9:55 PM Post #12 of 20
I don't use chemicals. They are not tested on every product and every material. They could damage plug/jack insulation.

I finally succumbed to a famous high end cleaning solution for my stylus. Some had warned not to. They were right. It ruined a $100 stylus in less than a month. Wiped out the damping material, as other said on the net.

We are tempted to use stuff 'for the best possible <whatever>'.
Be careful out there.

Jul 10, 2002 at 11:52 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by john_jcb
I put this in the change your oil every 3000 mile category. Not required except under extreme conditions.

i change my oil every three thousand miles and i'm happy to do so. i also pay $40 per oil change for mobil one synthetic oil. i don't care what any cheap-asses feel about it either, i have a brand new car and i'd like to keep it that way for as long as i can..

none of my connectors are dirty, so i don't see the point in cleaning them with stuff. just my opinion.. maybe if i owned something for a long time, i might. or if i bought an antique piece that was used a bit.

Jul 11, 2002 at 12:04 AM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch

i change my oil every three thousand miles and i'm happy to do so. i also pay $40 per oil change for mobil one synthetic oil. i don't care what any cheap-asses feel about it either, i have a brand new car and i'd like to keep it that way for as long as i can..

I have never owned a car that the owners manual recommended 3,000 miles between oil changes except in harsh environments. Most of my vehicles are kept between 150K and 200K miles and I have never had to replace or rebuild an engine. I believe the oil change places have hoodwinked the public with the every 3,000 mile line.

Change your oil every other weekend if it makes you feel better about keeping the car new. I does not matter to me.

Jul 11, 2002 at 12:23 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
pro-gold is simply Q-contact cleaner.It is made in the same factory on the same line and sells for a third of the price.the can even looks the same except for the graphics.I do clean contacts frequently.It does not improve sound but does prevent poor contact and corrosion which can be a problem in my basement listening room.

Tuberoller!
Do you happen to have a URL or phone number? I'm always interested in saving money!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back