How often do your headphones break?
Oct 19, 2008 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

ultimo101

New Head-Fier
I purchased a pair of headphones by audio technica only a couple months ago. Sure enough the 3.5" jack is messed up. You know, the old wiggle until the sound comes through bull crap. Anyways I am shocked that a $200 pair of headphones has the same stupid problems as a $25 pair. Please dont say I abused them, I treat these headphones like a baby, I dont even take them out, they're strictly home use.

Anyways, Im just curious about how often crap like this happens to you guys and what you do about it.

Oct 19, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #3 of 21
It's not so much the headphone, as the cable that is the problem. The copper strands can only stretch by that much, whilst the rubber/plastic insulation can stretch by a lot more. So winding out and winding up the headphone cable between use can start to stretch the cable,a nd with it the copper strands in it. Soon they start breaking loose from each other, and you end up having to twist them about just to get sound. Coiled cables are the best in that respect. You can use a rubber band to link up between say a few inches of anywhere along the headphone cable. So if you accidentally tuck at it the rubber band will take up the slack before the copper strands do.

Oct 19, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #5 of 21
I have a friend who had a habit of playing with the headphone cable while listening to music and would cause a loose cable connection. I've never had any of my headphones break yet but I don't fiddle with the cable either.

Oct 19, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #6 of 21
Never. I've got a ton of headphones and have never had any problems with any of them.

Headphone amps... now that's another story.

Oct 19, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #7 of 21
None so far.

Oct 20, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #8 of 21
I've never broken a true headphone. I've broken a few headsets (w/mic) before but they are cheap so I'm not careful with them.

My Sennheiser HD580 I bought about 10 years ago look absolutely 100% new, except the filter I removed on purpose. I take great care with my good phones and these have well over 500 hours, probably over 1000.

One of the things I really like and certainly look for when I'm headphone shopping is cables that can detach. I've never caught my HD580s to where they pull out, but I know they can and that gives me an extra degree of protection.

Oct 20, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Sennheiser HD580 I bought about 10 years ago look absolutely 100% new, except the filter I removed on purpose. I take great care with my good phones and these have well over 500 hours, probably over 1000.

is it just me, or is having the headphones for over 10 years and only having 500-1000 hours amazing? haha

anyways, ive used my ksc75 for almost 2 years and i throw them in my backpack unprotected. and they still look almost new. the foams may be flattened a bit, but still good. wire is fine too.

Oct 20, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is it just me, or is having the headphones for over 10 years and only having 500-1000 hours amazing? haha

I've had more than just these headphones in those 10 years
wink.gif
Also, I haven't been a solid headphone listener for all of those years.

Oct 20, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had more than just these headphones in those 10 years
wink.gif
Also, I haven't been a solid headphone listener for all of those years.

lol. makes sense to me now
atsmile.gif

Oct 20, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #14 of 21
I've had cables go bad at the jack with cheap portable headphones.
I have some Optimus Pro 25's from '87-'88 that are still working fine. I got a 2nd new set on ebay for when these ones die. I tend to be careful with my stuff.

Oct 20, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #15 of 21
Before, all I had go wrong with headphones were the jacks. But that was only on cheap($10-15) in-ear phones, which I wear at work all night every night, plus I'm always moving, so it's expected that they're going to get messed up. But then tonight(at home), my first pair of decent cans(Audio Technica ATH-FC7) broke! I never dropped them, or manhandled them. I just picked 'em up like normal, and SNAP! Pisses me off, because I loved these things. And now they've been replaced by those ugly, cheap-plasticy-ipod-looking 700's. Here's some pics : http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...s/P1030590.jpg http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...s/P1030591.jpg
Now I don't know what to get. Any AT's that sound the same, or similar?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back