How often do you use your Grado, preferably the sr-80.
Aug 7, 2002 at 7:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

kenchi1983

100+ Head-Fier
If you own a pair of grado's, u use it alot?

So, someone just got me into the urge of getting a real audiophille headphone, again. I forgot his name but he uses silver md as avatar. thanks.

just got my philips pcdp, if you're are looking for one......try out philips. if not just exchange it if u find out u dont like it. (in circuit city preferably......i did NO QUESTIONS asked).

confused.gif
So the question is, if i were to really really spend $100 on a pair of grado sr80s, do u think i will be using it enough to warrant me in getting this product? any user experience will be very helpful. Im also asking because i dont want to find myself putting it down...and using my portapro instead.

I dont really mind that the phones are very open, i do plan on using them outdoors on the streets. why not?

How about AKG? models at the $100 range, i have not tested them before. How'd they rate?

And im just using the pcdp, dont have any amplifier things.

thank you.

Aug 7, 2002 at 7:43 AM Post #2 of 14
i did like the sound from sr80, but did not 'wow' me.

Aug 7, 2002 at 9:12 AM Post #3 of 14
I have several different pairs of cans including 3 Grados.
To my ears, there is not one better price/listening pleasure ratio than I got with the SR-80s.
I think you should give them a shot.

Aug 7, 2002 at 11:37 AM Post #4 of 14
I highly recommend the Grado SR-80s as an introduction to the world of audiophile headphones.

The SR-80s were my first decent set of cans and as recephasan points out they are an incredible deal as far as sound quality/price ratio goes. IMO you won't find a better sounding headphone for under $100.00.

Give them a try and let us know what you think.

Aug 7, 2002 at 12:10 PM Post #5 of 14
SR-80s were my first decent cans. They really are great bang for buck. But I would not recommend them for outdoor usage because of sound leakage.
you might be better of with closed cans.
may be Ety er-6
rolleyes.gif

RawHit

Aug 7, 2002 at 2:52 PM Post #6 of 14
I stored them under my bed and never used them anymore.
biggrin.gif

Well, that is after I acquired other better cans.

Frankly speaking with a PCDP, I would recommed Grado SR60s over SR80s unless you are into rock or just after super bass. SR60s were my first set of audiopile quality cans and I was deeply impressed with them. However, as you experienced my SR80s didn't have that wow factor on me either. The improvements over SR60s were just mariginal and too tiny to notice on a PCDP.

rawhit,
I know you are a grado guy. But I disagree you on this one. The best bang for the buck cans are, IMO, Koss KSC-35s. I stored my Grado but I have never put away my KSC-35s. They are super fun cans to listen to, comfortable and very enjoyable. In fact, I just didn't expect too much for a USD20 purchase but I was deeply impressed. And they gave me the "wow" that every head-fier wish to obtain in a HP purchase.

Aug 7, 2002 at 3:31 PM Post #7 of 14
katsudon1
if ksc-35s can sound as good as SR-80s for $20 then I would be really interested in getting those cans
did u buy them locally or from some online store which ships internationally?

thanx
RawHit
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 7, 2002 at 4:20 PM Post #8 of 14
Come on, rawhit. How can KSC-35 sound better than SR80s. All I am saying is for 20USD they can provide 70-80% of the performance of SR80s. That's what impressed me this much.

Aug 7, 2002 at 5:03 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by rawhit
if ksc-35s can sound as good as SR-80s for $20 then I would be really interested in getting those cans

I haven't heard the SR80 in too long to accurately compare them to the KSC-35. However, I owned the SR60 and KSC-35 together for a long time. The SR60 may have been a bit "better" but not by much, and other factors (comfort, weight, size, secure fit) gave the edge to the KSC-35. I ended up selling the SR60 and buying two more pairs of KSC-35
wink.gif

Aug 7, 2002 at 5:19 PM Post #10 of 14
Well, I would highly recommend the Philips SBC-HP890's for you. The sound is so open and airy. It would also be cool since they might have synergy with your pcdp.

You can get them for about 100$ at meier audio.

http://home.t-online.de/home/meier-audio/

If you get them from meier, they come with warentee.etc.

Aug 7, 2002 at 5:30 PM Post #11 of 14
Hi,
My avatar is a silver MD as well. Was it me? I suggest you getting a pair of sony mdr-v6 for closed phone. As of an opened design, Grado sr-80 is very hard to beat for under a hundred dollars. Both cans sound great out of any pcdp. Oh, the phillips that Tim advised is also a great choice.

Purk

Aug 7, 2002 at 10:18 PM Post #12 of 14
kenchi,

Like many others here, the SR80 was my first "real" pair of cans. While I did (and still do) like their sound, I found them too fatiguing for prolonged periods of listening, and not well suited to jazz and classical music. I do most of my listening with Sennheiser HD580's now.

That being said, the Grado's are a very good "starter" can, so to say. For more portable use, you may want to get the Koss KSC35.

Aug 8, 2002 at 1:06 AM Post #13 of 14
I have a pair of Alessandro MS1 (why aren't they spoken about more often like the grados are???) and I love them. I listen to them quite often and they are they only cans I use with rock type of music.

I personally don't think the ksc35 are as good as the grados or alessandro because there is still a lot to desire for. However they are still a great buy and i would not think twice about getting a pair (if you don't already have one) given the low price and high quality sound (with respect to their price).

Aug 8, 2002 at 2:51 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Pepsione1
I have a pair of Alessandro MS1 (why aren't they spoken about more often like the grados are???) and I love them. I listen to them quite often and they are they only cans I use with rock type of music.

I personally don't think the ksc35 are as good as the grados or alessandro because there is still a lot to desire for. However they are still a great buy and i would not think twice about getting a pair (if you don't already have one) given the low price and high quality sound (with respect to their price).

Hi Pepsione1,

I'm very interested in the MS1's and have been reading some good things about them. What source do you use them with and do you use an amp ? Did you buy them direct (from their website) ? Thanks

Killer avatar dude !

edit: if your profile's current it's a pcdp and the CHA-47 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back