How often do you guys upgrade/buy new headphones?
Oct 25, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #17 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by chews89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes i do understand how people like to "collect" headphones, i guess you could call it a hobby right?

But if you have so many headphones, i'm sure some of them are bound to get very little head-time. Like i've heard people have a pair for gaming, a pair for music, a pair of commuting etc. But what if you have like 5 pairs for music? haha what do u do then with that many headphones? Would you be like " Oh, today i feel like my HD600, ill listen to my K701s tomorrow and maybe my DT880s on thursday" lol or are people like "OK, i feel like some jimmi hendrix, lets take out the grados" and then when the song changes to mozart "uh oh, gotta swap to my ATHs" "oh HIP HOP! where are my beyers?". i don't mean to offend/mock anyone(dont think anyone will be anyway) I'm just curious
biggrin.gif

I like it having two cans with different sound sigs.
It's fun to play an album with one headphone, and then listen to it again with the other.
I have an open and a closed headphone, both has their qualities. And sometimes a closed can is needed to shut out all kinds of surrounding noise.

I'm not rich. When I bought a new headphone, I could do so because I sold another one.

Oct 25, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #18 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by chews89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha compared to all you guys, i guess my headphone-buying-rate isn't so drastic after all.

I have a feeling a large proportion of head-fiers work full time hence being able to afford the high end stuff. Anyone else reckon so too? I guess i'll have to wait till i finish uni and see if i'm still into headphones by then :p

Yeah, I have seen far worse.
Its not all down to how many you buy either, more about how much money you spend. As you can buy 10 x $100 headphones and don't harm the wallet as much, or in the other end buy 1 x $8,000 headphone.

Oct 25, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #19 of 41
Let's see. You need (need ha ha) two for home-one open, one closed and two for out cruising around-one open one closed and an iem for very noisy places, and maybe a cheap throw around pair. That's what i got, just filled the last gap a few weeks ago but i must admit those new audio technic shiny woodies have been calling my name, too bad i just put a big deposit on a new tube amp. Oh one for the kids(that was my first pair). Now i really neeeed to just sit on my hands and not pull out my wallet again!

Oct 25, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #20 of 41
In the last 6 weeks I've bought:

AKG K240s
Beyer DT-880
Grado SR-80
Zero DAC
Darkvoice 336i

and now I'm buying a vintage RS-1, and I'm probably going to get a AD2000 for a comfier set.

Oct 25, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #21 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by squid_shank /img/forum/go_quote.gif
since im a broke student, i buy new ones when the old ones break

I would have this philosophy as well, however my Roland RH200 are pretty much indestructible so...

Oct 26, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #22 of 41
About one every three months. I think I'm sticking with the HD580s for a while though, I'm loving them more than I can say.
biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #25 of 41
I've only bought one from 2005 til first half of 2008, my sr-80s. In the last 4 weeks, Ive bought:

hd650
zero dac
ld mkIII

I hope I won't buy any more in another 3 years.

Oct 26, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #26 of 41
Whenever the bug bites. I'm a sucker for good deals. It's never really to "upgrade" as such. Just get more stuff to play around with. Then more again...

Oct 26, 2008 at 10:49 AM Post #30 of 41
guess I could say, every month, or every few months, depending on my fancy

auditions have entirely saved me time or money (I own three pairs of headphones, only one of which I bought just to try, and ended up loving, I've auditioned probably closer to 20 pairs of headphones, own two from that lot, see the advantage?)

granted, auditions are hard to do sometimes, and you generally can't sample anywhere near the range of stuff thats available online

Users who are viewing this thread

Back