How much you spend on audio ought to be proportional to... (add your own)
Jul 24, 2002 at 6:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Joe Bloggs

Sponsor: HiBy
Member of the Trade: EFO Technologies Co, YanYin Technology
His Porta Corda walked the Green Mile
I got my etys and then was considering who to buy my META42 from... but then I started wondering whether I should buy it at all! My problem is that I don't listen to music all that much...

The etys I took on my vacation to Australia ended up being used mostly as earplugs (they're good ones but for $269 they had better be
tongue.gif
)

These days I'm just cycling through the same old songs and don't especially find the need to expand my collection, which is small (say only 4 or 5 CDs I'm still listening to actively)

It seems to me that the amount of money you spend on audio ought to be proportional to how much music you listen to, for this obviously determines the amount of time that you can find use for your rig...

What else should it be proportional to?

$$$ you have
How good your ears are?
tongue.gif

How much time you spend on Head-Fi?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
(I guess that might be my problem
biggrin.gif
)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 24, 2002 at 11:27 AM Post #3 of 30
Joe Bloggs
HI JOE: I think that once I got my main rig at what sound I wanted. Then got my portable rig at the sound that I wanted that it was time to stop and enjoy the music and move on to other intrest with my money. This high-fi think could go on forever spending money on lots of different stuff because it is very easy to get cought up in it. I think once you are happy with your sound stop and move on to lets say paying off the credit cards or buying other unrealted stuff. I see the danger of getting caught up in high-fi and doing nothing else and having lots of different cans and amps. Maby a good word could be obsession.

Jul 24, 2002 at 1:54 PM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by LTUCCI1924
I think once you are happy with your sound stop and move on to lets say paying off the credit cards or buying other unrealted stuff. I see the danger of getting caught up in high-fi and doing nothing else and having lots of different cans and amps. Maby a good word could be obsession.

That's is by far one of the best pieces of advice I have stumbled across on this board.......

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jul 24, 2002 at 2:57 PM Post #5 of 30
Maybe you need to buy some new cds if your getting bored with your collection.

Jul 24, 2002 at 3:03 PM Post #6 of 30
Right now I'm like 'juust let me get the META42 and I'm done... after I buy an SACD player and finish experimenting with DIY ety adapter cables... and DIY ICs... and screwing up and buying ICs... and why not buy another amp...'

The thing that's making me stop and think is the realization that I don't even listen to music all that much... maybe 1-2 hour a day, and not every day either...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jul 24, 2002 at 3:09 PM Post #7 of 30
New CDs... running out of ideas...

Jul 24, 2002 at 3:09 PM Post #8 of 30
I would say; finding the best quality audio based on what you can actually afford at the moment.

I think it has been proven on these boards that you don't have to spend a fortune to get high-end quality.

But, then again; if you CAN afford the more expensive audio components, then go for it.

Jul 24, 2002 at 4:04 PM Post #9 of 30
it isn't really proportional to anything, there's a formula: take line 18 of your W-2, subtract $2k for each freeloade... err dependent, $53.86 for a year's supply of ramen, and if you have a significant other $500 for each time you hope to have sex in a year (ie the "investment towards keeping her happy and continually getting laid" fund). divide the resulting figure by 1/2 for your pointless incidentals - car, home, and utility payments - to keep up apperances of sanity. the end result is what matters most: your audio budget.
Quote:

My problem is that I don't listen to music all that much...

you poor, poor person.

Jul 24, 2002 at 5:01 PM Post #10 of 30
This is another case of the outside world attempting to invade my hobby space.

I imagine anything that is important to you, you will justify. Designer clothes, expensive car, 3 bedroom brick home, having more kids then you know what to do with, whatever.

It's your life. It's your priorities. I strongly dislike the idea of asking for other people to prioritize for me.

I spend a "disporportionate" amount of my income on audio, especially as of late. If I'd given any of you guys the impression that I own jetskis, summer homes and private planes just because I scraped together enough to buy an expensive CD player than I'm sorry for the misconception. I'm not wealthy and will likely never be wealthy.

If others of you can afford expensive audio stuff AND still afford your Jaguar and penthouse, I'm sincerely happy for you and hope if I'm ever in town you'll let me come hear your rig. But it's a little silly to try to judge how other people divide their funds or compare yourself to them. It rarely brings anyone any happiness. Do what works for you.

Jul 24, 2002 at 5:57 PM Post #11 of 30
After the Orpheus incident(that's a cool name for it,ain't it?) I only spend what my wife won't miss.That happens to be enough for me to buy nearly anything I want but the Orpheus is banned forever,now matter how much money I ever make or have.I only spend what I call "play money" on audio gear.this is the money I would normally spend on cycle or car stuff if I was still as enthusiastic about that.I'm back into audio now but next year .........who knows?

I say don't spend so much that you get yourself in debt.I know people who max out their credit cards to buy something like a cartridge,that doesn't make much sense.Just because you can afford something does'nt mean you should buy it either.I learned my lessons about priorities a long time ago.The Orpheus incident was a temporary lapse in sanity.

Jul 24, 2002 at 5:57 PM Post #12 of 30
oops!! triple post

Jul 24, 2002 at 5:57 PM Post #13 of 30
Oops! double post

Jul 24, 2002 at 6:42 PM Post #14 of 30
I am certainly not wealthy. I drive a Jetta and I live in an apartment with roommates. I have three main hobbies - reading, working out and listening to music. Only one of the these hobbies requires a significant outlay of cash, that being music. If you were to talk to my friends, then yes, I also spend an inordinate percentage of my income on music (software and the hardware to play it). And yes, while ultimately, the music is the main reason I do all this, I will grudgingly admit that I am a gearhead. I like amps, headphones, CD players, cables, speakers, etc. I DO get excited when new gear is realeased that looks cool, probably as much as when a new CD that I like is released.

The way I look at it is, you gotta have a hobby. Some guys collect classic cars, model trains, guns, etc. I buy audio gear and lots of music. To each his own. And besides, if it wasn't for this, I'd be doing cocaine off the bodies of strippers. Hmmmm.... wait a minute, that doesn't sound half bad.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back