How much use does your rig get?
Mar 31, 2004 at 10:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Gopher

Member of the Trade: LampizatOr Audio
I'll be the first to admit I go through gear at a ridiculously fast rate, but I justify this to myself by considering the amount of time listening takes up in my day to day life. While I found myself listening to headphones for a maximum of 1 hour a day when I had them, my 2(.1) channel rig runs 24/7 and has my active attention for atleast 3-5 hours a day.

How much time do you all put into listening to your investments?

Mar 31, 2004 at 10:16 PM Post #2 of 12
I listen to music for 16 hours a day. IF I'm at work then its the portable system. At home, 5-8 hours a day with the main rig while studying or working. 1 hour with the etys/cha47 before bed.

Mar 31, 2004 at 10:28 PM Post #3 of 12
The SDS I got in the end of July has over 1500 hours of music through it. Add the time spent with the Gilmore V1, V2SE, and the Vintage Marantz that I've also used off and on during the same time period and I guess (now that I think about it) I need some other hobbies.

Mar 31, 2004 at 10:47 PM Post #5 of 12
portable averages probably an hour or two
home headphone averages an hour
speakers average two hours

total = 4-5hrs

Mar 31, 2004 at 11:03 PM Post #6 of 12
basically, whenever I'm awake I got my rig on. I don't need to be on campus a lot nowadays, do most stuff at home. so I end up blaying background music for 6-8 hours, and about 3-4 hours of serious listening/enjoying.

Mar 31, 2004 at 11:30 PM Post #7 of 12
Portable: about an hour or two per day.

Home: anwywhere from 30 minutes to 10 hours depending on how much time i have away from school/work. But days where my home system doesn't see some use are pretty rare.

That changes sometimes tho'. For example; between april 18th and may 12th , my portable system will probably get used about 8 hours a day or more. My home system will probably see much less use during this period, but that's unfortunately unavoidable.

Mar 31, 2004 at 11:47 PM Post #8 of 12
It's easier for me to say I don't have music playing when I'm in the bathroom than when I do. I do have wireless speakers I could put in there though hmmm.... but really the water has such a high noise floor that music would be drowned
tongue.gif
out.

I am never without music outside. grocery shopping, laundry, walking about, subway, etc.

Mar 31, 2004 at 11:49 PM Post #9 of 12
I use a beat up old sony boom box at work ,headphones would be dangerous and someone could get hurt

to and from FM radio in the vehicle

play a couple of sets on the big rig with loudspeakers then it is time for din din

I relax after and zone out with my cans for a bit then it is family interaction time

maybe some more 'cans' time then cookies and milk and off to bed i go to dream of a bteer place
tongue.gif

so bottom line , not as much as i would like but too much for some

"HEY RICK ! YOU IN THERE MAN ?"

as i obliviously rock on with my Grados

Mar 31, 2004 at 11:53 PM Post #10 of 12
I use a beat up old sony boom box at work ,headphones would be dangerous and someone could get hurt

to and from work FM radio in the vehicle

once home play a couple of sets on the big rig with loudspeakers then it is time for din din

I relax after and zone out with my cans for a bit then it is family interaction time

maybe some more 'cans' time then cookies and milk and off to bed i go to dream of a better place
tongue.gif

so bottom line , not as much as i would like but too much for some

"HEY RICK ! YOU IN THERE MAN ?"

as i obliviously rock on with my Grados

Apr 1, 2004 at 1:55 AM Post #11 of 12
My headphone rig 1-2 hours a day (when I do my serious listening). My loudspeaker rig in my studio (I'm a painter) on average 4-6 a day, mostly for background music.

Apr 1, 2004 at 2:00 AM Post #12 of 12
I do some painting too

but walls and ceilings
tongue.gif

headphones and construction don't mix but to be without a radio would be death

work goes slower and everyone is miserable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back