1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

How much should i spend on A Vinyl Player?

1. TheOneAndOnlyEcon
    Hi everyone
    So i want to take my hifi setup to the next level and i figured going vynil would be a good investment. How much should i at least pay on a player to not Bottleneck the setup? I saw an ION player with cinch output(which i need) for 100 bucks but i guess that would kinda destroy the whole hifi aspect, right?
    So how high should i go? Will a midrange at 250 suffice? Or even higher?
    What are your experiences?

2. Oscar-HiFi
    Somthing like the Pro-Ject Primary would be fine for a first turntable.

If you can afford it, the Teac TN300 would be better, or the Rega Planar 1

3. richie60
    Second-hand Rega p2, decent Phono preamp, check the auction sites...

4. buke9
    Don’t waste your money on a Ion as it is terrible. I got one to get some of my vinyl into digital a few years back and the thing just plain sucks for that and just listening to music. Got a AT-LP120 before I found Rega and Pro-Ject players but it does ok but the onboard pre amp is not very good at all but things got better after getting a Schiit Mani preamp. Definitely would go with a Rega or Pro-Ject if I had it to do over again.

5. TheOneAndOnlyEcon
    I could get the project primary E here(switzerland) for a quite affordable price (199USD)

What do you think about something like this/ whats the difference? (Just asking bc im trying to understand what i‘d gain by paying around double the price)
    https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/produc...k-hi-fi-record-players-5672319?tagIds=591-592

6. buke9
    The thing with audio is you can always pay double for something. The Sony cost more as it has Usb on it if you wish to record your albums to play on digital devices. I’m not a expert on turntables though it can get real deep quick on them as far as price .

7. TheOneAndOnlyEcon
    Okey so theres most likely no difference in audio quality?

8. megabigeye
    This is my opinion based on my experience only-- there are plenty of people that will disagree with me:
    Getting a vinyl setup that sounds as good as a digital setup is going to cost a lot of money.
    I have a Rega RP1 ($450) feeding a Parasound ZPhoho USB ($350, purchased for $250) and, objectively speaking, it does not sound as good as my AudioQuest Dragonfly Red ($200). The DFR bests my vinyl setup in bass extension and slam, treble extension, detail retrieval, overall dynamics, noise floor, and signal to noise ratio. To reiterate: my $200 DAC sounds technically better than my $800 vinyl setup!
    Also, I don't have a lot of vinyl, maybe 150-200 albums. Of those, I can only think of one (1!) that I think sounds as good as some of my CDs/digital files (though, to be fair, I don't have many repeats between digital and vinyl, so direct comparisons are difficult). That one happens to have been purchased new for about $20. Granted, I don't buy a lot of my vinyl new, largely because new vinyl costs $15-$35 a pop.
    Also, know that digitizing vinyl is a PITA and takes around an hour and a half per LP. That's if you don't edit out all the pops and clicks. I've not done it myself, but I'd imagine editing the pops and clicks will add another hour or so, depending on the record (and your skill, etc.)... Oh yeah, and this is not including the time it takes to clean the vinyl before recording, which adds another 5-15 minutes, depending on the condition of the record.
    You should also budget for a decent vinyl cleaning system. I opted for the Vinyl Vac that set me back about $100, all told.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't think vinyl is necessarily subjectively worse and I do enjoy it. Vinyl is good if you want: that warm "analog" sound, a more interactive experience, tactile media, something collectible, attractive cover art, stuff that might not be available in digital, and/or going to record stores. The fact is, unless I'm just not in the mood, I still enjoy listening to vinyl.

Also, I wouldn't recommend the RP1. The motor can intermittently cause an audible buzzing that's present even when the turntable is "off" (the on/off switch actually only controls whether or not the platter is spinning), but due to its construction can be difficult to repair. Also, the cheap RCA cables are hardwired and, for some reason, it doesn't have a grounding wire. I believe the Planar 1 has the same issues. This is all according to the owner of a local hi-fi shop who also does repairs. His recommendation is the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (which he sells), which (I believe) has none of those problems and comes with a nicer cartridge.

All this being said, I wouldn't steer you away from vinyl if that's what you want. Like I said, there are definitely some things to be said for it. I just don't think that objectively vinyl is quite what it's cracked up to be, especially when you take value into consideration. If you reset your expectations, I think even a very cheap setup could still be enjoyable, just not as an audiophile.

9. BunnyNamedCraig
    No, there is a big difference in audio quality between turntables. I think he is bringing up the fact of diminishing returns? @buke9 correct me if I am off base of what you were trying to say.

Rega, Project, and MusicHall are all great places to start. For me personally, VPI is where I would finish my search...

I would think about wether you feel the need to turn your records into a digital format (I don’t really feel the juice is worth the squeeze but that Is totally my opinion), and also make sure you have a good pre amp. All the pieces matter!

My friends turn table set up trumps my digital. I have listened to his set up on more then one occasion and it never changed my opinion of it in that regard. I have wrestled with going analog for about 2 years now on and off. It can be a big initial investment but then it will be rewarding for so many other reasons compared to digital.