How Much School Do You Remember?
Jun 5, 2005 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

PTheD

Headphoneus Supremus
Do you remember any of it. This poll is aimed more towards those that have been out of school for a couple years or more and are living their lives outside of the bounds of accademics. But you can answear it if you are currently in school as well, I think my theory will hold up if you are in school or not really.

So do you remember everything you learned? Absolutely everything? Do you remember nothing? Anything at all? Do you remember how to spell everything that your lowerschool spelling tests covered, do you remember how to multiply every multiple that you memorized, can you still name all the diffirent kinds of poetic forms, do you remember the name of all the kings you learned, when they died, when they got married, had children, do you remember all the steps in mitosis, do you remember the captial of Iran, how much of that spanish you were taugh do you remember? All that kinds of stuff.

I know that I am still in school, and I know that I don't remember like 99% of it, but maybe that is only me. You walk up to me and tell me everything about France in 1600 except the name of one guy who did such and such and even with all those clues I wont remember. I don't have the first clue what the thrid step in mitosis is, even though i learned it twice, mathmatical statistics and figuring out standard deviation...forget it and that was only like three years ago. As I look back I remember like jack **** of it, and the funny thing is that I don't think I am alone, hell, I know I am not alone, but I want to know where you would put yourself statisticly in a poll about how much school YOU remember.

So have at it.

Jun 6, 2005 at 1:30 AM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
I remember what high school I went to.

They demolished the one I went to and built a cinema over it
tongue.gif

Yes...I would go there again
eggosmile.gif
biggrin.gif

I dont know why government sluggardliness and red-tape prevented the construction of this cinema when I was still in school...things would have been more interesting
rolleyes.gif

Jun 6, 2005 at 2:13 AM Post #5 of 20
I'm out of college now for the summer, next year will be year 3 (and final year, woohoo!) for me. That said, I remember most of my high school education. I don't remember specific things like time periods, dates, and those things. I remember most of my theorems and equations, most of the historical events, most of the writing and thinking theories, and such ... so I voted 75%

Jun 6, 2005 at 2:15 AM Post #6 of 20
truth of the matter is that you're not supposed to remember much of it: it is just enough that you were exposed to it to give you the statistical chance of remembering something. This is a fact that annoys many street and book read individuals who don't have a degree
eek.gif

I, on the other hand, don't work and try to integrate as much of my education into my daily life / applied knowledge as possible, so i retain a majority of the constructs and ideas that I come across, but I remember little to none of my pre-college education cause I didn't have this priority so had to re-learn my memory reactions and study habits. I think it helps if you can link things together like a the treaty of versailles with the makings of world war 2 or something, but the way many of us were educated was so out of context that it is inherently hard to remember due to a lack of flow in an incessant number of dates that we only memorize if we were told to memorize them.

I think it is related to the fact that in intro classes, and many teachers in general, glaze over the interesting human details or character flaws or misnomers that make you remember something cause they have so much basic information to teach. I run into the same thing with lower level college classes: it is hard to remember a drop of water if you are shown a waterfall.

I think most people learned more about social classes, violence and drugs in public school than anything else.

Not sure if that was a rant, reflection or what, but there it is.
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2005 at 2:51 AM Post #9 of 20
Depends on the subject. I remember the most from biology and english, and the least from history and math.

Jun 6, 2005 at 3:09 AM Post #12 of 20
I'm still in HS, but during the previous summers I tend to forget almost everything from the previous semester.
plainface.gif
I used to go to a "summer school" not b/c I failed any subjects it's more of a pre-prep for the upcoming subjects I'll end up taking during the fall. Instead of an academic summer school I'll be going to an art one to build up my portfolio. The only academics I'm doing over the summer is pre-cal so I can get into Cal AP in the fall.
biggrin.gif

For English I would remember certain books that were assigned the titles and authors but I have a hard time w/characters'names. Math most likely I'll need to brush up on certain formulas, history...gee..I forgot all about global now that I'm in APUS History. Science I have short term memory, I can't remember anything from Bio (freshmen year). Chem is foggy...eh...I'll try to forget Physics as much as possible.

Jun 6, 2005 at 3:29 AM Post #13 of 20
I'm still in college. I think I tend to remember more than the average person, but it depends on the class and my interest in it. I try to at least, if not remember the less important details, try to remember the main ideas and how they have changed the way I think and view the world. I think that's all most teachers ask of students (in general level classes, probably not major classes).

Jun 6, 2005 at 5:34 AM Post #14 of 20
enuff to hate and miss it at the same time. That siad, I can't remember most of the names or faces, but I do the people I wanted to set ablaze in fiery glory.

Jun 6, 2005 at 10:11 AM Post #15 of 20
I only remember that I hated high school.
biggrin.gif

I voted 35%. I can spell most of the words, and I can do basic math in my head. I know there are supposed to be commas in sentences, although, I can't remember where they go.
I've been out of school for over 25 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back