1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

How much power is enough?

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by ToTo Man, Aug 1, 2018.
First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
  1. AutumnCrown
    I'm going to reply in a PM because this isn't relevant to the thread.

2. 71 dB
    Headphone impedance has resistive, inductive and capacitive parts. For example the mass of the diaphragm creates capasitance on electric side. The shape will change.

kkl10 likes this.
  3. ToTo Man
    Thank you for taking the time to demonstrate this to me, it's very useful to know.

4. Tsukuyomi
    I agree, which is why for me. my "end game" source will be the RME ADI-2 DAC.
    I'll never need anything more powerful than that, it suits my current headphones power requirements and im sure in future other headphones as well.
    To my knowledge companies would rather make newer headphones more efficient and require less power to run effectively and to perfection. nobody is making headphones i believe that require butt loads of power to run well on a 10,000$+ system. it would be ridiculous.

5. bigshot
    Yep. Higher sensitivity doesn't necessarily mean lower sound quality. There are great cans that don't require amping at all. I own some!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    Tsukuyomi likes this.
  6. ToTo Man
    When an amp manufacturer publishes the output power of its amp it is presumed that the published specs reflect the amplifier's actual output impedance and are not based upon the assumption of a zero output impedance.

Many manufacturers publish output power specs into several different impedances, which to some extent will reveal the effect of the output impedance (i.e. for amplifiers with high output impedance I would expect the output figures to become less impressive as the load impedance decreases).

With regards to gain, however, only one value is stated. So if you're amp has a published gain factor of N, but it has a high output impedance, then the gain factor you actually achieve depends on the load impedance, and it will become a smaller and smaller fraction of N as the load impedance decreases. Is this relationship the same as the one concerning output power, output impedance and load impedance?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  7. castleofargh Contributor
    the most basic spec you'll see (one that still has a meaning) will include the load used to measure it. they'll plug in a resistor instead of a headphone but the principle is the same. you send a 1khz sine wave into the load, and increase the voltage until the signal craps itself(usually the reference is reaching 1%THD). you take that voltage value, the value of the resistor and P=V²/R gives you a max power output into that specific load of XXXohm.

ToTo Man likes this.
First

Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7