how much of your music collection have you actually listened to?
Sep 11, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #2 of 16
I have my music split into Classical and Considerably Not Classical libraries (the actual names of the playlists). Between the two I have almost 2,000 tracks. My method of populating each library is different. For classical I'll just rip the entire disc, whether I routinely listen to everything on it or not. For the not-classical library I'm much more selective, picking and choosing songs I like. There are some artists where I like entire albums, but they're the exception and not the rule.

The reason I do it differently in each place is because, while I'm picky about non-classical music, I can listen to almost anything classical (apart from opera--can't stand it) and find something to like about it. So there are no songs in my non-classical library that I haven't heard, whereas there are dozens of songs in my classical library that I haven't gotten around to yet. I just added a bunch of new music recently, so that's why there's so many untried tracks. Most likely within a month I'll have heard everything at least once.

Jul 12, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #5 of 16
I listened to all of them at least once. The favs get more ear time.
beyersmile.png

Jul 13, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #6 of 16
Haha, I love this question. Honestly, I've got a library of almost 20,000 songs and I'd say I've probably heard 75% and listened to closer to 50%. There are plenty of albums I've purchased to get a few songs. Trying to get both those percentages up though!

Jul 13, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #7 of 16
I am still old fashioned and buy CDs. I have a few high res downloads but honestly I'm not gonna pay for anything "rez'd up" that I own already in redbook format - which to me already sounds incredible. Since I have the HD800 (Jan. 2014) listening to music is so much fun again that CD's are piling up and can't cope with listening to all of them. But there are so many good suggestions in the music forum - I mostly focus on classic and Jazz - that I keep ordering quite a bit. Used "like new" CDs for $2 or 3 sometimes plus shipping vs a download for $17.99, no contest in my book .. or shelf
wink.gif
To the original question :
I also listen to everything at least once before it get sorted into the shelf but I lost count somewhere past 2k.

Jul 13, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #8 of 16
  I am still old fashioned and buy CDs. I have a few high res downloads but honestly I'm not gonna pay for anything "rez'd up" that I own already in redbook format - which to me already sounds incredible. Since I have the HD800 (Jan. 2014) listening to music is so much fun again that CD's are piling up and can't cope with listening to all of them. But there are so many good suggestions in the music forum - I mostly focus on classic and Jazz - that I keep ordering quite a bit. Used "like new" CDs for $2 or 3 sometimes plus shipping vs a download for $17.99, no contest in my book .. or shelf
wink.gif
To the original question :
I also listen to everything at least once before it get sorted into the shelf but I lost count somewhere past 2k.

Man, I love collecting music too. I also love how I resurrected this thread.
tongue.gif

Forgot to mention that I also have not listened to a few dozen CDs I received as gifts. You know, ones I had no interest in in the first place.

Jul 13, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #10 of 16
I've got just over 12,000 tracks on my external hard drive. It totals 97 Gig. I have 25 gig on my phones micro SD card in the rotation. I'm regularly moving CD's off the phone and putting new ones on. It all depends on my mood. 85% of the music was ripped from cds. The rest came from various download sites no long in existence.

Jul 20, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #12 of 16
I'm pushing around 800 cds of various genres and around 50gbs of music on the hard drive. I at least give everything one listen through. My newly acquired HE-500's are keeping me quite busy.

Still trying to figure how I'm going to continue to have the room for my growing cd collection.

Happy listening!

Jul 21, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #13 of 16
Pretty much all of it, I'd say 95% of it I've listened to. I only have about 40 GB worth of music in total, 20% in Flac the rest in 320kbs. Anything that I haven't listened to and I notice on my library I'd listen to, if I don't like it much or anymore - I get rid of it.

Aug 27, 2014 at 8:12 AM Post #14 of 16
I agree... I listen to just about all of it at one time or another.

I'm getting ready to travel for a week's vacation and just spent time last night working on vacation music.

I deleted some of the current 25G of music on the SD card in my phone and pulled selections from my 80
+ gig of music onto it.

Variety is everything!

Dave

Aug 28, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #15 of 16
At some stage I caught myself buying more music than I can handle. Since then I have introduced a rule that I won't buy another album if I have more than 5 that I haven't listened to yet. Works well, but sometimes restricts me from snapping up a bargain...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back